Which old Delta do I have? Pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Rerod

Reaction score
Can someone identify this delta shower valve please? Its from the 70's. And does delta make products just like they used to? I mean my old valves have worked fine for me. The tile failed and Im wondering if a new valve should be in order. Or just get a rebuild kit and new trim for my old valves. Like the saying goes.. "they dont build um like they used to"
Or should I buy a new delta R10000 with 1700 series trim?

Thanks

delta.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Delta 1600.. You can get parts and trim, with little or no selection of style or finish ( chrome ). Who knows how much longer you can get even that.

It would be foolhardy IMHO at this point to NOT replace with the R10000 rough valve. That gives you choice of 1300, 1700, or 17T function, and a wide array of trim styles and finishes.

Rerod

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo.

Where can I learn more about the 1300, 1700, or 17T functions?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1300 is single handle, pressure balanced.
1700 is two concentric handles, one for on/off/volume and one for temperature. Pressure balance feature provides anti-scald protection.
17T is thermostatic temperature control.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I recently got rid of one like yours and installed a 1700. My wife had been "mentioning" for years that she would like to have the ability to control the flow volume as well as the temperature, so now there is peace in the family:D I have to tell you that I really like it myself.:eek:

CarlH

Reaction score
It would be foolhardy IMHO at this point to NOT replace with the R10000 rough valve. That gives you choice of 1300, 1700, or 17T function, and a wide array of trim styles and finishes.

Now you have me wondering if I can refit my older 1300 series with a 1700 series trim kit. M 1300 series looks different than the current 1300 series. Mine has a chrome plated body and bonnet nut while the newer is brass for both and it is covered by a finished sleeve. I'll have to take a closer look when I have a chance.

Does anybody know off hand if I can do this conversion?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

What makes you think they ever "made them like they used to"? At this stage of your project there is absolutely no logical reason not to replace the entire valve. Delta 1700 is the only one I recommend or furnish.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Now you have me wondering if I can refit my older 1300 series with a 1700 series trim kit. M 1300 series looks different than the current 1300 series. Mine has a chrome plated body and bonnet nut while the newer is brass for both and it is covered by a finished sleeve. I'll have to take a closer look when I have a chance.

Does anybody know off hand if I can do this conversion?

NO! That is why the redesigned the rough valve and new cartridges to be interchangeable with it. None of the new stuff fits an old valve. Even a new 1300 cart. cannot go in an old 1300 valve body.

CarlH

Reaction score
NO! That is why the redesigned the rough valve and new cartridges to be interchangeable with it. None of the new stuff fits an old valve. Even a new 1300 cart. cannot go in an old 1300 valve body.

I see. There is a new new 1300, as of March 2006. I have two styles of the older 1300. One where the rough is chrome plated and another style where there is a chrome plated trim sleeve that slides over the brass rough valve (similar to the R10000 rough).

Rerod

Reaction score
What makes you think they ever "made them like they used to"?

eh?:confused:

What.. Youve never bought something new that was a pile of junk compared to the old? One example. My old german Magnesium 056 stihl chain saw. It still cuts harder than any new plastic (and I wont dare mention where its made) stihl. And the list goes on.

All I asked is if delta still makes reliable products.

You guys need to stick with decaf.;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks