which cast iron pipe should i connect new pvc to for sink and toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

gaw11365

Reaction score
hi
i'm renovating my bathroom and will be moving my sink and toilet . I have several questions about the new waste plan.

First, I plan on cutting the 4 inch cast iron pipe #5 before the toilet flange and connecting it with a mission clamp to 4 inch pvc so i can move it 4 feet to the right of the picture on the other side of the bathroom . Is that ok to do?

Second question:
I would like to attach the sink waste to the pre existing cast iron pipe on the floor but am not sure if i can connect it to location # 1 or #2 in the picture. If i use another mission clamp for this connection , what do i do with the drain and bivent already present which is not being used # 3. Is that ok?

Third question
I plan on cutting the pipe on the floor to the left of the #5 but do I have to cap that if not being used. If so , how do I cap the cast iron .

I am assuming that I don't need an extra dry vent for the fixtures since they are all so close to the main stack.

thank you

gw

Attachments

• IMG_5166.jpg
    IMG_5166.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,372
  • IMG_5167.jpg
    IMG_5167.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,741
  • IMG_5168.jpg
    IMG_5168.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,432
  • IMG_5171.jpg
    IMG_5171.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,705
  • IMG_5172.jpg
    IMG_5172.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,376

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

First, I plan on cutting the 4 inch cast iron pipe #5 before the toilet flange and connecting it with a mission clamp to 4 inch pvc so i can move it 4 feet to the right of the picture on the other side of the bathroom . Is that ok to do?

If you do it correctly, and that means using the RIGHT Mission clamp.

Second question:
I would like to attach the sink waste to the pre existing cast iron pipe on the floor but am not sure if i can connect it to location # 1 or #2 in the picture. If i use another mission clamp for this connection , what do i do with the drain and bivent already present which is not being used # 3. Is that ok?

IF you have to ask, maybe you shouldn't be doing this. And it makes no difference WHERE, or HOW CLOSE and existing vent is to the connection, unless the vent is installed properly for THAT connection it is useless.

Third question
I plan on cutting the pipe on the floor to the left of the #5 but do I have to cap that if not being used. If so , how do I cap the cast iron .

If you do not cap it, you will flood the downstairs when any water is used in the drain line. You use a No-Hub cast iron plug.

gaw11365

Reaction score
thank you for your response. I understand your answers to #1 and #3 but wasn't sure about answer #2. I don't think I would need to add a vent to a sink that was so close to the main stack so I assume I have to plug it also ?

thank you

gary w

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks