change washer

Users who are viewing this thread

gclement

Reaction score
a little help with these faucets here.

i'm trying to change the washers to these faucets but having trouble removing these pieces. i'm suspecting they are not like the usual ones where you remove the cap and there's a screw hidden behind. i have tried to remove the rubber piece (labeled HOT in the pics) and there isn't any screw.

unscrewing the cap/flange is not possible either.

appreciate any of your help, thank you!

cc1823a7bc31d7fb599a17eb0d382bfc2g.jpg
a39e6085920d0c586502a790bfde43652g.jpg

Last edited:

gclement

Reaction score
may i know why is that?

and how do i actually dismantle these faucets?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm betting they have a cartridge of some sort. Do they move in and out as you turn them and may go several rotations feeling tighter as they close? Or, do rotate a definit distance and just seem to hit a stop without becoming more difficult to turn?

The one on the lav sink probably comes off by unscrewing the escutchion below the handle. The tub/shower I can't see well enough to say for sure.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
Don't know if those faucets have a washer or not but I have seen handles similiar to those that have a set screw that tightens against the stem . If they have a set screw it wouldn't be under the H & C buttons . It would be on the round part of the handle beneath the place you grasp to turn the faucet on & off .

gclement

Reaction score
thank you for the replies.

they do turn several rotations but they don't go in and out. and they do feel tighter as they close. (i might want to change to those half/quarter turn ones, don't know what they are termed).

they are the same faucets, one is installed for the shower and the other on a sink. i am not sure how i can unscrew the escutcheon as the handle gets in the way, i have tried a spanner and by hand. i can hardly get a grip on as they are bell-shaped.

there are no screws that tighten against the stem, as far as i can see.

gclement

Reaction score
i have found out from a local hardware store that i need a "faucet handle tool" to remove the handle first. it's a small tool like a shape of a fork that goes underneath the handle and sits into two small cavities on the brass ring hidden under the within the handle itself.

however, the hardware store doesn't sell them and it's going to be hard for me to locate a 'plumbing store' around here, and i don't know the name of this specific tool. any idea?

gclement

Reaction score
found the tool, but can't crack it open. am i supposed to turn it like a screw? clockwise/anti-clockwise?

ce87dd34f543a097a5a16ecf343353714g.jpg
9b3cd443008508c95c81c7c2d117cf7f4g.jpg

Probedude

Reaction score
I would bet it's CCW as you view it in your picture.

(or hold that inner nut and rotate the faucet handle CCW)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks