Hot water heater, sometimes not so much

Users who are viewing this thread

inexplorata

Reaction score
So. :D

Bought this house last year and inherited a probably 10 year-old gas tank water heater. It's been chugging along fine. No problems to speak of for nearly a year here, although did notice once or twice a less hot shower than I'd like, but neatly blamed it on the wife and went to bed.

Last night tried filling up the new bathtub to actually get in it for the first time. Hot water out of the tap, not very hot at all. Checked other faucets in the house, same-same.

Went downstairs to look at the water heater. It had kicked on, and was busily heating water. Waited 20 minutes, tried again at the tub -- hot as all get out. Only for a few minutes, but there you go.

I'm thinking it kicked on after the call for hot water, but if it's just sitting there it won't try to keep gradually cooling water hot. My reasoning is that most days we'll run the dishwasher or washing machine at some point during the day; not so yesterday, it sat idle all day until I turned on the tub faucet.

Thermostat? Dip tube?

(And yes, I know, just replace the whole thing. But I'm cheap and around a lot, and can keep a good eye on the thing as it nears permanent retirement.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks