Mystery Drain Pipe - how to connect?

Users who are viewing this thread

wdc91773

Reaction score
I'm in Phoenix, Arizona and my house was built by my grandparents in the 1940's. (This means that I know to expect pretty much anything when performing household repairs!) I'm replacing the cast iron drain pipe from my washing machine that connects to an existing underground drain that I thought was 4" ABS. (There was a reducing collar connected to the 2" pipe from the house.) Upon attempting to fit a new reducer fitting, I discovered that the 4" fitting was much too large to fit the pipe. I measured the part of the pipe that I cut off to make the new connection, and it had an ID of 3 3/4" and an OD of 4 1/4"! Is this some obsolete size of ABS pipe, or is it ABS pipe that has shrunk over the years, or is it not ABS at all? It seems a bit lighter and more brittle than new ABS. I don't know exactly how old it is, but it's at least 20 years old, if not 40. I guess what I really need to know is how I can join my 2" abs drain from the house to this oddly sized pipe. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

The o.d. is about right for S&D pvc, but the i.d. should be 4" if it was. If it is S&D then many places that carry ABS pipe should have the bushing to increase the o.d. to match sch. 40 pipe.

wdc91773

Reaction score
Well, as it turns out, I found the solution to my problem last night at my local Ace hardware store. I was browsing their selection of ABS fittings when I discovered a thin-walled sleeve that was described as some kind of 4" adapter. I had a section of my old pipe with me, and the sleeve fit perfectly on it and increased the OD of the pipe to 4". I asked an employee if he knew the name of the pipe for which the adapter was made, but he didn't. I guess it could be the S&D PVC mentioned. Is S&D dark gray in color? Anyway, now I know at least what I need to do to work with it. Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks