cant remove cold valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Hotrod351

Reaction score
well it seems that after 35 years i need to replace my shower valve seals. problem im having is i can get the knobs off but when i put the 15/16ths socket on the valve it wont move. i sprayed it with penetrating oil but still nothing. i was thinking about using a propane torch to heat it up. i really dont want to have to take everything out and replace the whole unit. not if i can fix it with a couple $6.00 valves. any one know of another way, other than heating it, to remove it.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Make sure your valve/stem is fully open when you try to unscrew it

I don't recommend heating up the valves with any kind of torch. You could end up with an emergency call to a plumber to fix what ever might get botched to get your water back on.

The last time a DIY (weekend warrior) tackled a shower faucet with a torch, he spent 12 hours on the thing and finally gave up, called me at midnight because his tenants have had no water all day. The entire faucet fell apart before he called me

Hotrod351

Reaction score
its pretty simple to just change out the whole unit with a new one. i have easy access behind it. seems that ill end up taking out the whole setup and putting it in a vise to see if i can break it loose. if no home depot sells the whole setup with handles for under $200.00. i just thought there might be some secret to breaking it loose. seems that brass fitting screwed into brass for 30 plus years creates a welded union.

Hotrod351

Reaction score
it seems that its in three pieces. there is a nut that unscrews easy, then i can open the valve all the way but it doesnt come out, it stops. i figured i need to take the whole unit out. i was hoping that the large nut, the one you first see when taking the handle off, was what i needed to unscrew then i could simply turn the handle and back it out, but it hits a stop. is it suppose to unscrew completely.

Hotrod351

Reaction score
what im trying to remove is called the bonnet. its really stuck in there. i applied some liquid wrench yesterday but im not real hopeful Picture 1.jpg on it working.

Hotrod351

Reaction score
well i went to home depot and bought the complete manifold setup and a setup of all three valves. figured if i could break the valves free id have a set of new one and if i broke the manifold, or just couldne get them out, id have the setup to replace the whole unit. well i guess i got lucky, i was able to break each valve free and also unscrew the seats. went to a local plumbing supply and bought the rebuild kits, total = $6.00 and clean the old valves up and rebuilt them. ah yeas life seems to be good, back to home depot for a refund.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks