3 inch nipple dilemma

Users who are viewing this thread

WallyGater

Reaction score
I will be installing 3 body sprays in my shower. they thread onto a 1/2 inch x 3 inch brass nipple. the nipple needs to be 3/8 inch recessed from the finished tile wall. this is the manufacturers specs. So if I were to thread the nipple into the wall first, I would be unable to put any tape on the body spray side unless I taped it first before I put it in the wall.
So, whats my best option?

Tape both sides of the nipple, install into the wall, using an inside nipple wrench, and then thread on the body spray?

or

Tape both sides of the nipple, put the body spray on, then thread the whole thing into the wall, using a wrench, (the body spray has a spot to put a wrench)

WallyGater

Reaction score
My concern about this method would be:
over-tightening the body spray, and or cracking it.
a lot of force is needed to sink that nipple 3/8 inch recessed into wall. I`m not sure if the body spray assembly can take that kind of torque.
However, if I put the nipple in first, the body spray might potentially not tighten all the way, thus forcing me to put the wrench on it anyway.
What do the pros think?

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
My concern about this method would be:
over-tightening the body spray, and or cracking it.
a lot of force is needed to sink that nipple 3/8 inch recessed into wall. I`m not sure if the body spray assembly can take that kind of torque.
However, if I put the nipple in first, the body spray might potentially not tighten all the way, thus forcing me to put the wrench on it anyway.
What do the pros think?

It should not crack them. We have been installing Grohe body sprays that way ever since I can remember, oh and btw I have been in the plumbing trade for 30 years, 19 on my own.

WallyGater

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I`m going to try it the way you suggested. I will post the results when I`m done. might be next week though.

WallyGater

Reaction score
thank you "C NUMB". "That is how we would install them".
It worked out great. you reply gave me the confidence to put a wrench on those body sprays and tighten them up. thanks again for the great advise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks