(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Receptical Surge protector

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    Most of what you say in this post is true except for the "main system ground". There is no such thing as the main system ground. All electrodes present MUST be bonded together to form ONE electrode system.

250.50 Grounding Electrode System.
    All grounding electrodes as described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(7) that are present at each building or structure served shall be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system. Where none of these grounding electrodes exist, one or more of the grounding electrodes specified in 250.52(A)(4) through (A)(8) shall be installed and used.

The key word in that section is "the" meaning only one.

Once again I've used the wrong words..."the".

Anybody reading this for electrical help, please read jwelwctric's posts. Mine can be taken the wrong way.
    rgsgww

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
    Once again I've used the wrong words..."the".

Anybody reading this for electrical help, please read jwelwctric's posts. Mine can be taken the wrong way.
    I wouldn't say that you are wrong in the way that you think.

The concept of connecting to earth has been misunderstood for many years and the misconceptions have been past down generation after generation.
    Even the code was used to lead these misconceptions.

Read the Fine Print Note from the 1984 code cycle

The equipment grounding conductor does just as its name implies. It connects the non-current carrying metal parts to earth.
    The Main Bonding Jumper installed in the service equipment bonds these conductors that are used to connect non-current carrying metal parts to earth to the grounded conductor of the service entrance conductors. Solidly grounded was accomplished with the main bonding conductor but the language was interpreted to mean that it meant connected to the grounding electrode system due to the verbiage above the last sentence. This is what makes the breakers trip and the fuses blow in the event of a ground fault.