Earthquake shut off valve on gas meter

Users who are viewing this thread

marlachat

Reaction score
I live in Los Angeles and by code we are required to have an automatic shut off device on our gas meter so that in case of an earthquake, the gas is automatically turned off. Does anyone know the code out here as to placement of this device? Right now it is located on the house side of the meter (as opposed to the Gas Company's side) and is located directly on the line from the meter on the top of a T tying in the house and a line to the yard for the BBQ and pool. Where it sits right now, in case of an earthquake, gas will be shut off both to the house and the yard. Our inspector wants it moved so that it is dirctly on the house?! Our plumber disagrees, and it doesn't make sense to me. I want ALL the gas shut off if there is a quake. Can anyone refer me to the applicable code? I've searched the internet and have come up empty. I know I'm a little off subject, but this is a plumber question. Hope someone can help.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Since there is nothing in the California Plumbing Code (modified UPC) requiring an earthquake valve, this must be a municipal requirement. Try calling the plumbing
inspection department and asking for a supervisor. Explain your situation and ask his opinion. If he agrees with your plumber, have him put it in writing. Then contact the field inspector and, as nicely as possible, explain to him what you have done and ask him to take it up with his boss if he has a problem with it. On the other hand, if the supervisor agrees with his field guy, you're SOL.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Such valves are covered by Title 21 Regulations for the California Division of the State Architect. Subchapters 5 and 6 cover certification of the valves and devices. I think that implementation of specific installation codes is left to the municipalities. You local inspector should be able to point you to the code section he is invoking. However, as always, inspectors have a lot of leeway in interpretation, so you may be barking up a tree.

tremor-map-2021-02-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks