Aquia, what rough-in do I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Donn2390

Reaction score
After installing my first Aquia lll yesterday, I thought I was ready for the big time. I patted myself on the back too quickly, because I have encountered a major problem today, installing the second toilet...
I made the mistake of not measuring the rough-in for the second toilet, figuring it would be the same as the first. The home is only five years old, and I assumed the plumbing would be standard, but not so.
While attempting my trial fit, the toilet hit the wall, so I then checked the rough-in and discovered it's just under 11" from wall to center. The one I installed yeaterday was just over 12" and worked fine.
I don't see any solution other than digging up the concrete floor and resetting the flange. That idea doesn't appeal to me at all. I would rather put the old toilet back, but I surt don't want to do that either.
Is there any hope for me, or is it a lost cause...?
Any other Toto ADA work in that short a rough-in...?
Any help would bew appreciated.... Thanks in advance..

robo_geek

Reaction score
unfortunately, from what I've seen, the Vespin or Carlysle have 10" models, but they're not ADA..though could be wrong.

The only ADA/10s are three commercial gravity-flushers from Toto: CST703R.10

If it's PVC, would an offset flange work? You could offset by up to 1.5"

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The CST744EL ADA EcoDrake will work with a rough-in of 10-15/16"

In fact any of the Drakes will work at that rough-in.
The Aquia needs 11-1/2"

Pretty much all other Toto needs 11-1/4"
The Unift Toto, will work at 9-1/4" with the 10" kit.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Still hope..?

Terry....
It sounds like the Eco drake is the answer to my problem.
I called the store and they will take my Aquia back and get me a Eco Drake, but they tell me the Drake also lists a 12' rough-in.
I did a little research on your site, and everything points to the Drake needing a 12" rough-in too.
I know your "The Man" when it comes to toilets, so if you say it works with 10 5/16", I'm going for it...
I just don't want to continue returning toilets...
I may still be able to save my marriage...! It was in doubt when the bathroom floor was cluttered with tools and parts and nothing fit...
Thanks...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sad to say, toilet rough-ins are often poorly measured. Why a building contractor who measures everything else to 1/16" will get sloppy on toilet rough-ins, but it seems to be a fairly frequent occurrence. Redoing the drain would be an option, but is not a DIY job for most folks and would be pretty costly to hire a plumber. I'd say the best thing to do would be to select a different Toto that would fit. The good thing is, every Toto model works well, so you would not be compromising performance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Note, Terry said 10-15/16", not 10 and 5/16ths, in case that makes a difference. At that point, the tank will be against the wall.

Donn2390

Reaction score
10-5/16..?

After the last post, I re-measured my flange. One stud measured 11", but the other one measured 10-3/4", so I am a little short to make the 10-15/16 minimum on one side....
Looks like I'm stuck with my builder installed junk....
The 10-5/16 I mentioned eariler was a misprint, I meant 10-15/16....
Hasn't been a good day..

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can position the horn of the Drake bowl offcenter about 3/8"

The slots on the bowl are much wider than the bolts, allowing some fudge room.

You guys act like this is "so" precise. There is quite a bit of "fudge" room.
You can even move the bolts out a bit, even though that are not "centered".

We install Drakes at less than 11" all the time.
So it's not a "guess".
Get the EcoDrake, it will be fine.

Donn2390

Reaction score
"You guys act like this is "so" precise. There is quite a bit of "fudge" room.
You can even move the bolts out a bit, even though that are not "centered".

It's not my fault, Terry..! I'm a mechanic and a machinist, so I tend to look at things more precisely than a carpenter or a plumber...
I'm satisfied with your reply and am going for the Eco-Drake. I just hope you make house calls to So Calif after I get into trouble.
After a couple of days with my Aquia lll, I couldn't bear to return to a standard toilet.
I won't pick up my Drake until late next week, so the old one goes back in for a while.
Thanks again for everything......

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I distribute out of Claremont CA. That's a little East of LA.
The Los Angeles area is giving rebates on Watersense toilets like the EcoDrake and the Aquia.
They are even giving rebates in the Seattle area.
Bellevue, Issaquah, Sammamish, Snohomish, Mill Creek, Monroe to name a few.

Last edited:

Donn2390

Reaction score
I just checked it out and Claremont is 41 miles from me. That's closer than I went for my Aquia...! Next time I will come and see you. it that a store or just a distribution point..? Do I buy from you and pick up in claremont..?
I live in San Bernardino County, and they won't give me any rebate because my house was built after 1999, and came with 1.6 gpf. I told them I was going to the dual flush that uses less water than the 1.6 gpf, but they were heartless... So I had to pay full frieght...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks