P trap requirements for bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

larry528

Reaction score
I am replacing two sinks in the masterbath (many uses 24-7), but the sink drain location is 2 inches closer to the stub out wall than the previous.

My question is does the bottom of the trap need to be lower than the stub out line, or can it be higher?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you make water run uphill? If so, then the outlet can be higher. In my area, water will only run down hill so the outlet would have to be lower.:p

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Not a pro plumber. But I know that between the trap and the point where the pipe goes into the sanitary tee, there can be no bends. Otherwise it will not vent properly and you will have your traps being siphoned.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
larry528, your question doesn't make sense to me, you say your sink tailpiece is 2" further back towards the wall with the drain stubout than your previous sink?

How would this affect your p-trap height unless you are trying to do some strange offset? If height is actually the real problem and you don't want to open the walls, then look into a vessel sink.

larry528

Reaction score
The question is straight forward.

what is the relationship of the BOTTOM of the trap for a sink to the line coming out of the wall.

If its lower, then when in use, water coming down from the sink has a greater hydrostatic head than the short distance from the bottom of the trap to the bottom of the line going out. About 2 inches max.

But I have an A/C line that also feeds into the column above the trap, and because of the way the stub out ends, with no way to cut off and reduce the distance from the trap to the thread on, I have to snake some extra pipe to make ends meet. I dont want to use that bellows type connector, other issues there.

So, can the bottom of the trap be higher than the line going through the wall, equal, or is there NO difference, since the nature of the trap is secure with the offset that it has.

My concern with it being higher is that the water coming down from the sink would create a siphon that would clear the trap, making it a vent and not a trap.

As far as a vessel sink goes, I already have the right hand sink in, this is the left handed one.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
No, the bottom of your trap shouldn't be above the wall inlet. That'd make it an S-trap.

I still don't get it why/how the distance from the wall would affect the trap height. Pictures?

FWIW... a two-piece trap (aka NYC trap), in combination with an offset on the tailpiece, allows a fair bit of adjustment forward & back.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
- keep the P trap at the same height it was at before.

- you can adjust the rest of the geometry of the pipes to account for the loss of space in one direction or another, but not lower or raise the P trap.

- your descriptions in both posts above are beginner-ish so bear with us no matter what you think about your clarity and our inability to get the picture. Search on "trap weir" if you want to learn more about P trap height.

- install your P trap at the same height it was at before.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks