Looking for short 10-12inch but average width toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

MelPD

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a little person who only measures 4 feet. I am in search of a short toilet to add to my washroom. I have come accross the american standard baby devro but it is only 10 inches wide. I am looking for something larger but as short. Do you have any suggestions as to where I can order one from/what company I should be looking at? It's for a home install.

I hope you can help. Having a really tough time finding what I am looking for,

Thanks, Melanie

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Baby Devoro and some childrens toilets are also narrow, as you found out. Here is a resource to contact about your situation> it is called Direct Access Solutions http://www.lp-access.com/ . That is the company run by little person Matt Roloff, of the famous Roloff Farms TV show. His company makes the hotel room access kits for little people. Perhaps they have some information about the toilet situation.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Melanie,
Of the top of my head I'm afraid there isn't. I may be wrong and perhaps we'll hear someone chime in with a suggestion. The Am. Std. Baby Devro was made intended for young children and I can see there would be a difference between the needs of young children and little people.

It may take some work for your cause and it is definitely a niche market that could prove profitable for the only manufacturer out there. Under ADA the taller toilets are a common item in manufacturer lines but your plight has been ignored. Heck there is even a toilet out there for the uncommonly large person. http://www.greatjohn.com/Our_Products.html

nuevo-1-345x437.jpg

Since they are already a succesful Niche market toilet manufacturer maybe you could approach them with your plight and launch them into a succesful little john line!

Hopefully someone else chimes in and knows of a product foryou if not I wish you success in you mission.

I have a neighbor that for many years wanted to ride a chopper. However, He being a little person could not quite find the Harley of his dreams. 2 years ago he found a chopper that fit! Looking at it you would never realise the seat is only a little over a foot off the ground until you are next to it or he pulls up alongside something. Way cool if you ask me!

chopper%20200cc%20carb%20approve.jpg

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Here is a standard-sized, porcelain-bowl toilet that is 12-3/8" at the top of the bowl, making it about 13" high at the seat:
http://www.sealandtechnology.com/productpages.asp?pid=38

For people who can think "outside the box", it is a gravity-flush toilet (no flush-water tank) with a bowl that is filled manually and it mounts to a standard flange. However, I do not know whether it would be considered domestically "legal".

Attachments

• Sealand-2011.gif
    Sealand-2011.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,207

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thats a marine toilet that drops the load directly into a holding tank.
Not quite to residential code!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Thats a marine toilet that drops the load directly into a holding tank ...

... or whatever else might be below it. The one in my workshop drops its load directly into a normally-sloped 4" line, and it works perfectly fine.

Not quite to residential code!

Do you know what the issue might be?

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have one of those in my cottage. It is connected to a composter. It is not exactly "manual fill" -- as long as you hold the flush valve open, some water will flow through the bowl -- but a typical flush will use perhaps a litre of water (about a quart). That's not much liquid to carry the waste along and in our instance there is a horizontal run that inevitably gets plugged up if folks are allowed to use it for "solids". In consequence we direct all "solids" to the outhouse and the Sealand gets liquids only.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have one of those in my cottage. It is connected to a composter. It is not exactly "manual fill" -- as long as you hold the flush valve open, some water will flow through the bowl -- but a typical flush will use perhaps a litre of water (about a quart). That's not much liquid to carry the waste along and in our instance there is a horizontal run that inevitably gets plugged up if folks are allowed to use it for "solids". In consequence we direct all "solids" to the outhouse and the Sealand gets liquids only.

What I meant by "manual fill" is merely that the bowl is not filled automatically after each flush.

I have read about these toilets being used in vertical-drop composting systems, and I have also read about their being used in vacuum systems where waste lines need to run laterally. In my own case, I fill the bowl with water about halfway before each use when solids are on the horizon, then I flush a second time and with about the same amount of water at the end to be sure the solids move on down the line ... but I do understand why you would not want to have that much water (still less than a conventional flush) going into your composting area.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Ah! I just found a regular-sized bowl with a 10" seat height:
http://www.letsgogreen.com/toilets-central-desc.html

Melanie: Do you have your own house or a considerate landlord?

And if there is anyone else here who can employ a little ingenuity, this toilet has a ceramic bowl sitting on a plastic base and could be fitted to a custom trap ...

511LG.jpg

Last edited:

MelPD

Reaction score
Yes, I am a home owner. I thank everyone so much for your imput. I am amazed how many of you are trying to help me. Keep the ideas coming.

ShannonT

Reaction score
An Alternative

An alternative may be a wall mounted toilet. While not a typical residential installation, they are not unheard of. It would take a small remodel to get the wall support installed, but it would stop your feet from dangling.:)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yet one more possible solution. How about making a small platform to set in front of a regular toilet that you could put your feet on. It could be pushed aside by users that were taller. This would give you the best of both worlds. Yes, it may look a little different, but not so much as a very short toilet which would be fine for you and perhaps children but not for the rest of us.

MelPD

Reaction score
Yeah, I currently have a platform. The small toilet is for me only. The taller toilet remains for my son and other average sized people that come over.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
An alternative may be a wall mounted toilet. While not a typical residential installation, they are not unheard of. It would take a small remodel to get the wall support installed, but it would stop your feet from dangling.:)

I checked with my Duravit in-wall carrier system and the lowest i could make it was 15"

The American Standard wall hung bowl only is 13 3/4" to the rim (not including seat).
Glenwall.JPG

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Also checked the Flush valve style wall hung toilet and it is 13" to rim bowl only no seat.
Afwall.JPG

and if you want to see the Duravit:
11335.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks