Pex manifold: copper or plastic

Users who are viewing this thread

spresco

Reaction score
What is the number one choice of professional plumbers for Pex manifolds, copper or plastic?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I try not to use manifolds. They are for people that cannot size pipe and like to use a lot of tubing. Manifolds eliminate any possibility of hot water recirculation so there is a long wait for hot water at each fixture.

I prefer running a trunk and branch system and on a large home I may use mini-manifolds near the point of use and recirculate from the manifold.

ofblong

Journeyman Industrial Mechanic, Electrical Apprent
Reaction score
From my experience many to most plumbers don't like PEX or manifolds.

hmm I have experienced just the opposite. How can you not like PEX? Its quicker to install, cost 1/4 of the price for the same amount of copper. I actually got turned on to PEX by the plumber who replumbed my full bathroom. I then used it for the 1/2 bath I installed myself (I am one of those that learn by watching). Maybe those that say they dont like PEX is because of the one application that it doesnt work for?????

Either way I kinda want to know the answer to the origional question.

Redwood what do you mean by cannot size pipe? I would think it easier to run the biggest line you can as close to the fixture as you can and then reduce as close to the fixture as possible. I understand what you mean about running alot of "pipe" though. I dont know much about manifolds thats why I ask. my house is full of PEX but no manifold was used.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Pex manifolds

they are ok, but like others said, you have to wait a
long time at each hot line for the water to arrive....

they work fine,,,

some plumbers like to see straight lines and right angles
in their plumging systems and are not willing to install
stuff that looks sloppy....

the nice thing about the pex is you can isolate each
water run at the manifold from the stop...

What Redwood is getting at is
their is no real sizeing skills needed with the manifold pex stuff and just about any moron can string the stuff up and call himself a accomplished plumber

Last edited by a moderator:

ofblong

Journeyman Industrial Mechanic, Electrical Apprent
Reaction score
I am a do it yourselfer and to me that is UUUGGGLLLYYY. I mean at least when i did it I "mounted" the PEX to the beams to make it look nice. I guess thats more from running electrical wiring that I want it to look nice. Basically so you can tell "hey that goes here and that goes here" without having to necessarily trace wiring because they zig zag between each other.

as for 90's etc etc PEX does have fittings etc etc that make it look nice and not sloppy when you go around corners etc etc. I do have a couple curved brackets that I installed and mounted.

Thanks for the info :D. I think when I goto finally build my new house (prob be another 3 years) I will go with the copper manifold. I know the local hardware store rents the tool for $10 so prob just run eveything to wherever and then rent the tool for a day and crimp everything lol. Though I do like the quick disconnect fittings even though they are double the price they make things "easier" imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

RayP

Vocational Instructor
Reaction score
Plastic bad

I pexed entire house and tried to use the pex manufacturer's manifold which was plastic. It leaked, I replaced it, it leaked, etc.. I finally bought two coppper manifolds with valves and compression fittings. Smooth sailing.

RayP

Vocational Instructor
Reaction score
No...

It was Zurn. Not sure but I think there are probably only a few manufacturers and everyone puts their own name on it.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You probably had stress on the lines or overtightened the fittings. Those are the two most common causes of compression type fitting leaks.

Any one interested in low friction loss and practicality will opt for the centralized manifold rather than how it looks.

And IMO it's usually the (plumber) guy installing it that wants to take more time and charge for it that wants it to look pretty... if you don't like the spaghetti look, hang a cover over it, build it in or otherwise hide it or don't invite family or friends, coworkers etc. etc. to look at it while you recall that the best cooks don't have fashion model good looks. :D

turkeyvulture

Reaction score
Plastic Pex Manifold

I wait about 50 seconds for hot water in my house plumbed with a "proper" copper, trunk-and-branch system. No wonder, it has to empty all that 3/4 and 1/2 inch line, then heat up the copper. THEN you get hot water.

So I am putting pex hot water home-runs and manifold in my DIY project on another house, with 3/8" pex to the "time sensitive" fixtures like shower and lav. My calcs say pressure will be fine and wait time about 5 seconds not 50. The manifold will be plastic (but not Manabloc or Zurn I guess!) due to acidic well water that eats copper. For cold I am putting PVC trunk and branch since there's no wait time for cold.

Anyone have experience with this kind of hybrid system?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Gonna side with Red here. Home run manifold systems are wastefull of piping and lead to long wait times to get hot wate to the faucet. I much prefer to use a modified manifold system where small 2 to 3 outlet manifolds are installed very close to the fixtures served. This saves a lot op pipe and time.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There are a lot of homes built here that have the large manifold and 3/8 lines, home run to all the fixtures, and no one complains about wait times or flow...were talking 2 story 3-4000 Sq. Ft. homes with 3 baths...

3199604165_4a5fa19471.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You think so?

And IMO it's usually the (plumber) guy installing it that wants to take more time and charge for it that wants it to look pretty... if you don't like the spaghetti look, hang a cover over it, build it in or otherwise hide it or don't invite family or friends, coworkers etc. etc. to look at it while you recall that the best cooks don't have fashion model good looks

Well, that is an interesting idea. I always tell people it doesn't take any longer to do it right than it does to just throw things together. An alternative way of saying it, "If you do not have the time to do it correctly, when will you even have time to do it over?"

turkeyvulture

Reaction score
Pex Spaghetti

As to the spaghetti look, seems like this is a matter of intelligent placement and orientation of manifold and routing of pex tubing to make it look nice. Anything can be made ugly by carelessness.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have had to repair quite a few of the old manabloc manifolds. Not sure about the newer incarnation of the product but it seems like overkill to me anyway. Good in a summer camp though when it comes time to blow it down for the winter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks