toilet to shower drain conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

bscandanavia

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I are doing some work to convert a commercial loft into a liveable artist space in NYC. There are two bathrooms with commercial toilets, one of which we would like to convert to a shower.

The floors are concrete slab and if at all possible we want to avoid jack-hammering into it as the space is a rental and there is a limit to the amount of work we are able to put into it.

We are hoping that we can build a raised platform to build a p-trap above the concrete floor and feed that out through the toilet drain. Is it possible to convert the toilet waste drain into a shower drain?

Also, the space is pretty old and there is a possibility that the toilet drain is lead pipe (we still need to remove the old toilet to see). If that is the case - will we be able to connect PVC/copper/brass pipe to the lead pipe? Can we somehow connect to the toilet drain flange?

Any advice is greatly apreciated.

best,
David

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A raised floor is most cases in an ugly idea, but I can see in a loft it may well be doable. A good plumber can make the approriate connection to a lead closet bend. The problem might be avoiding an "S-trap" configuration, but the plumber could help figure this out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

IF it is a lead bend and it appears that NYC still uses them to this day, then there is little hope of making a connection to it. Raising the floor and putting the "P" trap above the floor will create an "S" trap and it will require some creativity on the part of a good plumber to avoid the problems with that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks