irrigation flow rate/psi has me completely confused!

Users who are viewing this thread

madrone

Reaction score
Hi, I'm overwhelmed by all the calculators on the rainbird site and really need some help with some simple problems.
Hope someone here can help.
I'm in the process of having a well drilled and need to figure out how much water we use on irrigation, which isn't all that much.
We run one short 100' length of 2" pipe with risers every 20' and I think 7/32 nozzles on the risers, totaling 6 risers. We move this line through the garden and yard in addition to some drip irrigation in the orchard.
We also have some home usage on the same pump.
How can I figure out the flow and psi we need to run this line optimally.
Any Help, please?

Last edited:

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how difficult it is to quantify "some" ~ nothing prevents you from changing impact head nozzles, so you aren't locked into any particular flow. Think in terms of how much acreage you need to cover in what period of time.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is an irrigation supply company in your area, take a scale drawing in to them. Often these companies will design a system for you at little or no cost providing you buy all of your supplies from them. It does get complicated as it is far more than just gpm and pressure. Length of pipe needed, elevation changes, number of sprinklers on a zone, and on and on. You might even find that a complete underground and automatic system would be feasible. Even if they charge for this service, it would be a good first step.

JimLewis

Reaction score
For most situations, if you installed a pump that would produce 10-20 Gallons Per Minute (GPM) and 65-100 static PSI of pressure that would be PLENTY.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks