Lincoln Power Mig 140C Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I will need an explanation to see how you are using the power factor for the secondary side of a transformer to calculate amperage on the primary AC side.

I am lost.
No PF, just Pin = Pout and P=VI. I assumed resistive loads, and the xformer inductance and power loss to be negligible.
For this exercise it might be OK.

The V-I curve of an arc is supposed to exhibit (incrementally) negative resistance, so an exact analysis of this setup would be really weird.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you all very much for your assistance and insight. It was all very good information. I found the answer to requiring a 20 amp circuit breaker while also requiring 25 amps available to that circuit in order to obtain the full output of the welder. As others have suggested, it's in the circuit breaker design and test criteria. The following is an excerpt from a circuit breaker manufacturer that explains the current carrying capabilities of most circuit breaker:

The CSA test program as well as our inhouse test program confirms compliance with the regulatory requirements by conducting the following tests:

Initial Trip time confirmation

* The breaker is "over loaded" to a value of 135% of the current rating and the breaker must trip within one hour.
* The breaker is then "overloaded to a value of 200% of the current rating and the breaker must trip in typically in less than two minuets.

Temperature test

* The circuit breaker is overloaded to a current value of 6 times the rating ( but not less than 150 amp.) and switched 50 times.
* The circuit breaker is then placed in a 40 deg. C. ambient temperature and forced to carry 100% of the current rating until the circuit breaker reaches thermal equilibrium. Temperatures are recorded and must be below the maximum temp. limits of the requirements.

Considering the welder's duty cycle it will operate at the 140 amps advertised by Lincoln so my previous assumptions were wrong.

I an't sure but I think that someone wrote in here to just plug the thing and go to work didn't they? Well I guess they must have known a little something wouldn't you say?

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
No PF, just Pin = Pout and P=VI. I assumed resistive loads, and the xformer inductance and power loss to be negligible.
For this exercise it might be OK.

The V-I curve of an arc is supposed to exhibit (incrementally) negative resistance, so an exact analysis of this setup would be really weird.

Yeah, and the flux capacitor may not help it either.

This is a 20% duty cycle nonmotor welder so a 20A circuit is more than sufficient.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks