(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drilling concrete slab

Ramsets often don't grab in well-cured concrete, the way they do in fresh.

Also - he's not a pro - when is he ever gonna need a ramset again? A hammerdrill will get used for other things, inevitably, eventually.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Still sounds like a lot of work!

Can you say Ramset! http://www.ramset.com/721.asp

I bought one of these on a job last month ... the ramset model I used has the charges in a plastic strip instead of loose. I find these are very consistant going into block but going into cured concrete is a crapshoot. Going into a floor is not that critical and would have worked fine ... then ebey when done.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

I am in Key West at the moment enjoying the sun.

But I maintain that screws and anchors are the way to do this in the spirit of craftmanship.

I am approaching a gas pipe that runs the length of one wall across the basement ceiling. It is positioned about 5 inches from the wall which means I have a choice.

I can either box it in behind the stud wall (which would mean I could not access it) or in front of the wall but cover it behind the suspended ceiling.

Which is better? I either lose access and a little square footage, or maintain access but lose some ceiling height.

Number one, I don't believe you are allowed to bury the pipe behind the stud wall. Second, 5" is a lot of room to waste. Definitely build the wall against the foundation and build a soffit to cover the pipe. Then if you have to make a repair or replace the pipe it's much easier to get to.

Rerouting the pipe is also an option if it's bothering a lot. More time and money, but you are already investing a lot of time and money to finish the basement. See if there's another path for the pipe.
    Gabe

Don't follow my advice, I only know a thing or two about a thing or two.