Tying into clay sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

little buddy

Reaction score
Is there a best way to cut into a clay pipe or just bust it out and put the rubber boots in so I can install a clean-out? Is there a standard size clay pipe used from the house to the main? I have dug down to the clay pipe (3.5'), but haven't determined the actual size.The pipe is in about 3' sections and is leaking at both end couplings. The leaking water is not black, it is a dirty brown, nor does it have a terrible, terrible smell. I'm also having trouble figuring out why water is running out of the pipe even when there is no water running in the house. I am having to put a sump pump in the whole to keep up with water pouring out of the pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

It should be 4" clay and the water is coming out because it is either plugged, or it is installed with backwards slope. you cut it with a snap pipe cutter.

snap_cutter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

little buddy

Reaction score
clay pipe

Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with snap pipe cutter, but I'm sure I could bye or rent one. Do you supose a guy could take a chizzle and hammer and bust that clay and couple it with a boot to pvs and install a clean-out. Thanks again.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry to say but you have bigger problems if there is water in the pipe.
It's either clogged or bellied.

This is a soil pipe cutter AKA Snapper.
It will easily cut Cast Iron or Vitrified Clay Pipe.

Ridgid-32900-rw-64464-18884.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks