Cleaning a Moen Shower Head

Users who are viewing this thread

den1517

Reaction score
I am attempting to clean a Moen shower head model 3941 and need help understanding how to take it apart. Does the spray adjustment knob on the side pull off and allow the "guts" to slide out the front? Any tips would be much appreciated. (I have already soaked it in vinegar, but can't get it to produce individual spray streams.)

den1517

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you try pouring some into the head from the supply side? Maybe a brass wire.

den1517

Reaction score
Yes. I removed the head from the supply pipe and poured white vinegar through it from the supply side. Then I soaked the head in vinegar for 6 hours. It looks sparkling clean, but the spray streams still glomp together instead of being separate streams. I also traded it with another shower head (identicle model) from a different shower in the house and the problem follows the head, not the water supply source (rules out pressure and/or delivery rate being the problem). I'm thinking that I may have grit stuck in the inside. I thought about trying to push a fine wire through each stream nozzle from the outlet side towards the supply, but looking at the face of the outlet makes me believe there is a lot of plastic inside. I would prefer to take it apart, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks