(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Cleaning a Moen Shower Head

Default Cleaning a Moen Shower Head

I am attempting to clean a Moen shower head model 3941 and need help understanding how to take it apart. Does the spray adjustment knob on the side pull off and allow the "guts" to slide out the front? Any tips would be much appreciated. (I have already soaked it in vinegar, but can't get it to produce individual spray streams.)

den1517

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Did you try pouring some into the head from the supply side? Maybe a brass wire.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Yes. I removed the head from the supply pipe and poured white vinegar through it from the supply side. Then I soaked the head in vinegar for 6 hours. It looks sparkling clean, but the spray streams still glomp together instead of being separate streams. I also traded it with another shower head (identicle model) from a different shower in the house and the problem follows the head, not the water supply source (rules out pressure and/or delivery rate being the problem). I'm thinking that I may have grit stuck in the inside. I thought about trying to push a fine wire through each stream nozzle from the outlet side towards the supply, but looking at the face of the outlet makes me believe there is a lot of plastic inside. I would prefer to take it apart, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks for your suggestions though.
    Last edited by den1517; 01-13-2009 at 05:38 AM. Reason: add clarification and more information