Moen Shower Stop Tube Question

Users who are viewing this thread

rich101682

Reaction score
I installed a new Moen Chateau shower knob yesterday. I noticed that when you turn the water all the way off by pushing the knob back, the knob goes all the way back to the escutcheon plate. On our old knob, the knob would stop about a quarter inch to a half inch before touching the escutcheon when turning the water off.

The only thing I can think of is that when I installed a new stop tube, I pushed it in too far. Is this even possible? When I put it in, I pushed it in until it wouldn't go any further and didn't push too hard or anything. Could it be that the newer knob is slightly deeper than the old one? I didn't replace the valve body or anything, just the knob, escutcheon, etc. Any insight would be appreciated as this is my first time changing anything in my shower.

chateau-handle-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You may have the wrong escutcheon. The legend is bowl-shaped, and the chateau is more or less flat.
If the stop still works, you probably got the right knob. The postitemp knob is larger in diam. than chateau or legend.

rich101682

Reaction score
That's a good point. We have 2 showers, so I'll check the old one and see if that escutcheon dips in where the new one is flat. Didn't even think of that. Thanks a bunch!

Knob fits like a dream. The only thing I was worried about was why the knob seemed to push farther back. Hopefully it's just because the escutcheon is farther out than the old one I replaced.

One other side question...I also replaced the shower head with a new one. After you turn the water off, the showerhead continues to drip for a little while afterward. It stops after a minute or so. Is this just extra water draining from the head after you shut it off? I thought that if it was any kind of leak that the dripping would keep going for more than a few minutes.

Thank you Jimbo. Any other thoughts are welcomed too!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
knob

The position of the knob is fixed by the depth of the valve inside the wall. Whether it contacts the plate or not depends on the shape of the plate. There is an extension which will move the handle out 1".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks