(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plumers cost to replace hosebib

Default plumers cost to replace hosebib

A plumber here who has given me a price of $300.00 to replace my hose bib which was dripping and wouldn't stop.
    He gave me a 1 year warranty that is in writting on the bill.
    Is this reasonable?
    The plumber had a helper.
    They left to get the part-s at a "plummers supply house".
    They came back, and about 1/2 hour went by and they said "DONE" then billed me $300.00.
    I wrote them a check for $325.00 so they had extra money for lunch.
    The hose bib is upside down because of the type hose I use works better that way.
    Here is the finished replacement:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That guy made out like a bandit . Hope it doesn't freeze where you are .

If it works it works. But that is a "garden valve" which is more often installed on a vertical pipe. The difference is the angle that the hose takes off at. The garden valve is a higher flow valve then a "regular" bibb, and maybe that is an issue for you.

Without more information, I would have installed a different model valve, and of course not upside down.

He should have had a regular bibb on the truck, but if you specifically wanted the garden valve, he had to go get it.

Looks like a threaded valve, so other than the trip, this was a 10 minute job. $300 may be a little high, but he did show up to do this small job, which sometimes is a problem to get someone.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is an illegal valve to put on .
    It should have had a vacuum break on it that acted as an anti-siphon device.
    A "hose" bib faucet would have angled way from the house, like Jimbo mentioned, that one belongs on a vertical pipe, and a vacuum breaker needs to go on before the hose attaches.

If you live in a climate where there is any danger of freezing temperatures, you should also have frost free hose bib. Even though you specified the type of faucet you wanted, any ethical plumber would have explained that what you asked for was improper and illegal and educated you on the proper hose bib to use. More over, that faucet is about a $5 item at any neighborhood hardware store and total install time would be less than 10 minutes. So even though a plumber will charge a minimum for just making the trip, it certainly isn't a $300 job. I'd say you got screwed big time!

Default faucet

That faucet costs more than $5.00 but does not cosst 300 to install, nor is it the proper valve for that application. The hose is also not going to last long crimped like it is.

Let me guess who you had for a plumber...

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

I do not see why a garden faucet is required to have anti-siphon unless we know its height above ground, which we do not from this post.

I have them on all of mine (as good practice) by they are not a code requirement unless the faucet is low enough to the ground to require them.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 12-15-2008 at 01:04 PM.

I do not see why a garden faucet is required to have anti-siphon unless we know its height above ground, which we do not from this post.
    Ian, I agree. What's all this nonsense about anti-siphon. This is America and I don't have to do any damn thing like that. It's my water and I don't need no stinking water cops telling me about anti-siphon.
    Joe Six Pack

No, I have checked. It varies by municipality. Most new builds require them.

http://www.abpa.org/originalsite/pnw-all.htm
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 12-15-2008 at 01:15 PM.

I have a question for you lady, if you feel comfortable answering that is..

Did you ask about an estimate/quote at all before allowing this guy to "fix" this for you? And if you did, did you feel his price was reasonable?

What a shame, it's guys like this who give all plumbers a bad name. Time and time again I have to fix the installations of hacks and so called journeymen plumbers...and when the customer tells me what they were charged for the original installation...my jaw drops.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post

I have them on all of mine (as good practice) by they are not a code requirement unless the faucet is low enough to the ground to require them.

Around here, all outside bibbs regardless of where or how they are located, are required to have a vacuum breaker. This is enforced at new construction, remodel permits, and at time of sale of a property.

What a shame, it's guys like this who give all plumbers a bad name. Time and time again I have to fix the installations of hacks and so called journeymen plumbers...and when the customer tells me what they were charged for the original installation...my jaw drops.
    That's why I started DIY. Thank you America!

In England I would never had dreamed of doing work that should always be left to a licensed professional.

Here, you can often do a better job than the electrican/plumber/builder/landscaper sent round.

Well if you use the Yellow Pages anyway.

Can consumers really only trust word of mouth, or is there another way? I do not know anyone here you see. So I could only use Yellow Pages.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 12-15-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking you got screwed good....

they put the faucet in upside down ...

they did not even get the right facuet for the job

I have never seen a hose bib that angled back towards the home like that one does

That should not have been over 200....

and it should have have had a vaccuum breaker on it.

I would call the BBB and angies list about that sloppy half assed install job
    call the owner of the compnay and
    tell him that you want a Woodford hose bib installed.......

and you even tipped them, that makes it even
    more the worse....

If you are in a area that freezes,,,
    that will freeze and break

you cant hardley get the hose on the facuet in the first place...

If you ever want to sell the house this will
    probably have to be repaired to make it right
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default tears?

No freezing issues that are drastic, maybe high 20's and some snow 2-8 times a year. Lower santa fe NM.
    That hose is on city pressure which I was told was around 80-100 psg.
    I wanted a good flow so that must be why he put that one on as per Jimbo
    says it has better flow so I can wash the cars and water plants.
    I'm not selling the house and the hose is usually only attached when in use.
    I's about 30" above the sidewalk and there is a 30' drop down a flight of stairs so if I ever got a puddle up there that high I think my butt would be on the roof with the cats if the water ever got that high.
    That was the over-all bid for the job and thought they did good.
    Yes I am blond.
    Yes out of the budget.
    Should I try to stop payment on the check so they come knocking?
    Did I miss any answers?