Toto or Mansfield

Users who are viewing this thread

Janes

Reaction score
I was trying to replace a toilet that had to come out for wallpapering but have a banjo counter that presents problems. My plumber came by and we discussed the options. Have decided to keep using the old American Standard (from the late 80's--never had a single problem with it). BUT I now think I'd like to replace the toilet in another bath with an ADA height, CEFIONTECT, elongated, one-piece toilet. Was going to go with the Gwyneth, even though there isn't much info on it here. Is it too new? $476 plus tax and maybe $179 installation. Differences from Ultramax?
Then I visited a friend who complained that she needs three flushes with her brand-new Toto (one-piece but she did not know the model). Smears all the time since the water level is so low. There go the water savings, plus more time and annoyance and cleaning.
Then my plumber suggested a Mansfield (not sure which model) for maybe $400 installed. He has put them in lots of houses and converts the 1.6 to 2.2.
Now I am totally confused. I don't really HAVE to replace anything.
Sigh.
Jane

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have the Gwyneth in my main bath.
It works fine.
And in the first floor, a CEFIONTECT Ultramax. That works good too.

I do clean them more than I would something from the 80's, but the 80's are long gone. It's 2009 now.
A single flush works fine with these. All solids go down with one flush. If sometimes you need extra cleaning, it's easy to hold the handle down a bit longer, or to ever flush twice with the Gwyneth, that would only be 2.50 gallons, still much less then 3.5 or 5.0

ms604_angle_seat.jpg

Last edited:

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
I don't know if Terry or someone else can shed more light on this issue, but I do have a comment and a question.

I can't understand why your friend would have to flush a Toto two times, let alone three times. All the 1.6gpf toilets that I know of that Toto makes flush like gangbusters, absolutely the first time.

I would be interested to know what model of Toto your friend has, which flushing system, and is she holding the lever down until all the water in the tank has flushed into the bowl? This only takes about 1/2 second longer than a quick push of the lever, letting go before the flush is complete. I was going to look into adjustable flappers to see if they would hold open the required 1-2 seconds themselves without having to hold the lever a little longer.

Lastly, can anyone tell me why the water level in the bowl of my Ultramax fills to a nice height and then drains down slowly to a less desireable height? Is that normal for the Toto's, other toilets, and is there any fix for that?

Thank you Terry for aludeing to the fact that 1.6gpf toilets do have a weakness as far as cleaning the bowl. Are these new Toto double cyclone toilets any better at bowl cleaning? Clearly that's what they're trying to accomplish...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
the water level in the bowl of my Ultramax fills to a nice height and then drains down slowly

If you pour water in the bowl, it should stay at that level unless
Water is wicking up and over the top bend.
There is a crack.

1.6 gallon bowls have more porcelain showing, and less water to wash it with.
This is why she may be using more water, though the original poster says that her husband has no problem with one flush.

Janes

Reaction score
My friend of the triple flush fame says the water flows down the back of her toilet, not the front. Water flowing down the front would presumably carry away whatever is stuck on the incline.
So, does the Double Cyclone swirl around and flow down the front?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks