Help Identifying Shower Valve (So we can select the right trim)

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think this was answered in the last forum you posted it in...:D
Speakman...

Last edited:

banner18

Reaction score
Sounds like it isn't a SpeakMan

Hi - I've spoken with a Speakman sales rep and they tell me it isn't a speakman.

Thanks for all the help - any other ideas?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perhaps there is something I don't understand here. It appears you have a old valve of unknown manufacture that is so old it does not have a modern scald control and you want to buy new trim for it. What I don't understand is why? A new valve is not that expensive, it would bring your shower up to date, and make selecting new trim very simple. Am I missing something???:confused:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would consider that to be a very good option.
I'd consider the Delta R-10000 universal valve to be a good start.

banner18

Reaction score
Honestly guys a lack of knowledge and poor planning put me in this predicament - with me having already tiled the shower before considering replacing the valve.

So I still have the option of punching through the backside of the shower to replace the valve, however having almost reached completion on the project, I was hoping to avoid more finish work...

That all said it is what it is, and I guess I just gotta suck it up and do it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not having some way to access the plumbing without major demolition isn't a very wise thing either. Sooner or later you will have to get to the plumbing behind that shower. What is on the other side of this wall? If it is a sheet rock wall, then the answer is simple. Open that wall. I'd devise a removable panel to repair the hole, but just repairing the drywall would work too. If it's a solid exterior wall, you may be forced to remove some tile. A plumber might be able to change out the valve with minimal damage to the tile.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is an older American Standard Cartridge. I think it is out of an Amarilis. You could find out for sure at your closest American Standard dealer. But I am 99% sure it is American Standard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks