Made an amatuer mistake with shower valve installation

Users who are viewing this thread

mikec

Reaction score
I installed a new American Standard R120 Ceramix shower valve on one of my jobs. I did not check and assumed the hot was on the left as it should be. I installed it as I always do and just received a phone call that the hot and cold are reversed. I simply soldered it in place where the existing was and of course that was a Moen with a reversible cartridge so no problem before my installation of this valve. I cannot reverse the installed cartridge in the AS so I am screwed unless someone knows of another cartridge that reverses the flow. Anyone?

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I installed a new American Standard R120 Ceramix shower valve on one of my jobs. I did not check and assumed the hot was on the left as it should be. I installed it as I always do and just received a phone call that the hot and cold are reversed. I simply soldered it in place where the existing was and of course that was a Moen with a reversible cartridge so no problem before my installation of this valve. I cannot reverse the installed cartridge in the AS so I am screwed unless someone knows of another cartridge that reverses the flow. Anyone?
Most moentrol shower faucets have the handles facing up . (clockwise)Cold on the right, (counterclockwise)hot on the left.

AS may have the handle facing down, so it may look reversed, but it actually works in reverse. Arrow facing down, (counterclockwise)right hand is cold, (clockwise)left hand is hot

mikec

Reaction score
It's an AS valve and is installed correctly it is the fact that the pipes themselves are backwards.

SeattlePlumber

Service plumber.
Reaction score
Call American Standard and see if they make a cartridge that reverses the hot/cold. Several manufacturers do. If it turns out that they don't, you could maybe switch the lines somewhere where it is more convenient, like in the crawl space or the ceiling below.

Ultimately, they were the ones with 'backwards' piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks