(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Made an amatuer mistake with shower valve installation

Default Made an amatuer mistake with shower valve installation

I installed a new American Standard R120 Ceramix shower valve on one of my jobs. I did not check and assumed the hot was on the left as it should be. I installed it as I always do and just received a phone call that the hot and cold are reversed. I simply soldered it in place where the existing was and of course that was a Moen with a reversible cartridge so no problem before my installation of this valve. I cannot reverse the installed cartridge in the AS so I am screwed unless someone knows of another cartridge that reverses the flow. Anyone?
    Last edited by mikec; 01-11-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I installed a new American Standard R120 Ceramix shower valve on one of my jobs. I did not check and assumed the hot was on the left as it should be. I installed it as I always do and just received a phone call that the hot and cold are reversed. I simply soldered it in place where the existing was and of course that was a Moen with a reversible cartridge so no problem before my installation of this valve. I cannot reverse the installed cartridge in the AS so I am screwed unless someone knows of another cartridge that reverses the flow. Anyone?
    Most moentrol shower faucets have the handles facing up . (clockwise)Cold on the right, (counterclockwise)hot on the left.

AS may have the handle facing down, so it may look reversed, but it actually works in reverse. Arrow facing down, (counterclockwise)right hand is cold, (clockwise)left hand is hot

It's an AS valve and is installed correctly it is the fact that the pipes themselves are backwards.

Service plumber. seattleplumber's Avatar

Call American Standard and see if they make a cartridge that reverses the hot/cold. Several manufacturers do. If it turns out that they don't, you could maybe switch the lines somewhere where it is more convenient, like in the crawl space or the ceiling below.

Ultimately, they were the ones with 'backwards' piping.

Quote Originally Posted by seattleplumber View Post
    you could maybe switch the lines somewhere where it is more convenient, like in the crawl space or the ceiling below.
    Careful with that. Ten years later, I still tease my friend about the time he accidentally switched someone's toilet to hot.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...