Need help with freeze proof water spigot

Users who are viewing this thread

pines4equines

Reaction score
Website
www.horsehollowpress.com
Okay, I'm not a plumber but I need help! We have a freeze proof water spigot outside our barn. The barn has two spigots. One inside which is not freeze proof and then the one outside which is freeze proof.

We just had our pump worked on. The hoses or pipes or whatever had to be opened up and then closed. Apparently alot of silt got in there as the water ran brown for a bit and we had air bubbles.

Here's the problem. Right after the repair, we ran the no freeze spigot. Hardly any water wanted to come out, then a burst of water and then a trickle and then a burst. We figured it was silt so I went in the barn and ran that spigot and hose down a drain for about an hour to clear anything out. That hose ran alot of bubbles and silt but eventually ran clean.

The outside no freeze spigot is still having trouble. When I put the hose that is attached to that spigot in a bucket, alot of air bubbles run out. There is no more silt coming out water runs clean but it is still trickling or then a big burst of water. It seems like too much air is getting into the spigot. It worked fine prior to fixing the pump and all that silt getting in there...This hose had a lot of good pressure previously and we have great water pressure...

I would like to see a diagram of the inner workings of this no freeze spigot but could not find one online. COuld something have gotten screwed up in this thing? It shuts off alright and it turns on alright. NO leaking when in shut off mode. Could there be a little rock affecting the air intake or whatever. I know some air gets into this thing as you hear it slurping and doing it's thing. Thank you for any insight into this?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Y34clr.gif

Is your frost free this style?

pines4equines

Reaction score
Website
www.horsehollowpress.com
Hay

No, it's a spigot that comes out of the wall. It gurgles a bit. It has a white-ish cap on top and spigot coming out of the middle and then the water comes out of the spout below. I may be calling it a freeze proof and that's not the term.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

pines4equines

Reaction score
Website
www.horsehollowpress.com
Hay 2

Wow, a complex little thing it is isn't it? So maybe a piece of rock or grit could be caught in some part of that mechanism causing all this trouble? Do you think that's the problem and if yes, could that stuff work itself loose and we're done?

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You should be able to pull the entire stem out. Turn the water on for a few seconds to flush out whatever was stuck in the valve, check the washer for damage and then put it all back together.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those are frost free only if the pipe that it connects to does not freeze. If your building where the bib connects to the supply pipe is is not heated, then the pipe will freeze. Also, if you do not remove the hose from the bib prior to frost season, the bib will not drain and will freeze between the shut off point and the outside. In the spring when you try to use it, you will have a huge leak from the bib's pipe.

pines4equines

Reaction score
Website
www.horsehollowpress.com
Hay

Gary: We have a heating tape on the inside of the barn so it doesn't freeze. Thank you...

gardner said: "You should be able to pull the entire stem out. Turn the water on for a few seconds to flush out whatever was stuck in the valve, check the washer for damage and then put it all back together."

If I leave it be, do you think whatever it is will eventually wash out? Do I need a plumber to pull this thing apart or are there instructions on the internet somewhere?

Thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the time, we just replace the entire faucet.

Sometimes, you can get lucky and pull the stem out and replace the washer, and it works better then before.

But we've seen too many times, when that is just an exercise in time mismanagement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks