Garage door opener

Users who are viewing this thread

Shluffer

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here.

My garage door opener (an alister 1/3 HP if that matters) stuck on, melted the belt, and possibly burnt out the motor (not sure yer, i'm going to let it cool down and see if it still works).

How do these things know when to turn off? I'm concerned that if I replace the motor, it will just burn out again do to a faulty circuit of some sort

I'm thinking the best thing may be to just replace the chain drive. Are all of the chains standard? can I just pick up a new one and replace the old one with it , or is there more to it?

Shluffer

Reaction score
Update, I replaced the belt. No luck. The motor is not shutting off. I'm going to price a new opener, but would prefer to fix this one. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Msgale

Reaction score
there is an adjustable contact somewhere inside the motor assembly that should turn the motor off at a certain point of chain or screw travel.
It is adjustable.

how easy is it to find it adjust it , repair it?
i have no idea.

you might just start disassembling the casing and see what you can find.

Shluffer

Reaction score
I opened the case. There are two switches. One is triggered by a metal piece screwed onto the chain. I have tried triggering the switch to no avail. there is a second switch at the back of the unit that seems it may get triggered when the door is up. No luck with that one either. I'm thinking the control board went, but I have no way of knowing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If this is an older opener, a new one will have several additional safety features and likely a more secure transmitter. in some neighborhoods, thieves capture the code when you pull in, clone it, then have access to your home. This is much harder to do with the newer one, since they produce a different code each time it is used.

I've had good luck with Liftmaster openers. They make some under brand names for places like Sears, but their warranty with their brand name on it (and options) are better than those they build for others. Mine's a belt driven one and is very quiet. If you have a torsion rod spring, they have a neat one that attaches to the shaft, and therefore you don't need the track and to mount it in the middle of the garage.

Shluffer

Reaction score
I have torsion springs so I'll look for it. I figure that this one has been around long enough and its time to take it behind the barn and put it out of its misery. I was looking at the chamberlin belt drive. Any experience with it?

I upgraded my remote a couple years ago to the more secure type. I would however like to get the laser and auto reverse.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I have that model, or at least one of them (they make several) and it works fine.

Jeff1

Reaction score
I have the Sears model with the battery backup. It works great. The battery has come in handy when we lost power in the neighborhood - I was still able to get in and out. It was a little more expensive but worth it. Very easy to install as well.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Some of the Liftmasters run on DC motors, so are fairly easy to operate with battery backup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks