shower/tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry J

Reaction score
Right now I've got a full size window in my shower/tub area., which I'm going to have ripped out in the next year. I've got tiled wall around the window, which I've already had to replace 7-8 of them on the right side of the window, along with some on the trim boards. Now I've noticed 4-5 of the tiles starting to loosened, if I push on them they push in as if the wall board on the other side is soggy. I know that when I go to rip that out, I'll see the wall board wet and moldy. What I want to do is put some kind of covering over those tiles on the window side, until I can get that window out of there during the summer or fall next year (2009).
What I want to know is what to put there. I've seen this white wall panels that you would find in some public bathrooms and also, in some camper ceilings. I was thinking of using that to adhere to the tiles and then chaulk around the edges for that wall. Because when i take that window out, I plan on re-doing the outside wall and re-insulating then putting in a tub enclosure.
But, wanted a quick fix now, so that the tiles don;t come out,.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Barry

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Generally, it is never recommended to glue anything on top of ceramic tile. The reason is the adhesive use may not cure. I understand you need something on a short term basic, and I am thinking something like contact cement may do it. This would not normally be recommended, because it may bleed through to the surface and discolor your liner, but in this circumstance, that may be an acceptable side effect.

Please understand that your entire shower should be redone. Tile on top of drywall is destined to fail, and the entire shower may be in almost as bad shape as the tiles around the window.

It is a good idea to get rid of the window! Remember that building code and common sense will require a vent fan. Get a good quiet one, with a CFM which will give you at least 8 air changes per hour. The higher the better, but low sones rating ( max. 1.0) is very important also.

Barry J

Reaction score
The plan is to take out that wall, rebuild any studs that may have rotted, put a very small window higher in the shower, for light. do a tub/shower surround around the whole tub area. I've already have a vent fan.
like I said I've already had to replace 4-5 tiles and when I did I took out the bad section of wall board and put up cement board.
But, just looking for a quick fix that doesn't look like crap.
What is the glue or adhesive that they use for attaching towel racks to tile??
Would that work

Barry J

Reaction score
So, there is no adhesives that you know to attach that panel to my tiles???

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
A simple fix would be plastic over the area & duct tape :)
Right from the ceiling on down past the window, cover the entire area
Not pretty but it will stop the water
I did this at my last house until warmer weather
I ended up having to rip the subfloor out & replace it all
The surround was a mess as was the drywall
If the sheetrock is that soft it will be a bigger problem then what you see

Don't wait too long to fix the entire thing
You said 2009, but it is 2009?
I wouldn't put window in, if you do - no wood in the window
The sun tube is a good idea, I put one in the 2nd floor & it lets a lot of light in. So much in fact that we cover it when there is anything between a 3/4 & full moon

Barry J

Reaction score
It's not as bad as that...I don't think I need to put plastic up just yet.
I'll try to post some pics.
I'll post three, one of a close up of the worse tiles, and two overall ones

Attachments

• Bathroom 004.jpg
    Bathroom 004.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 287
  • bathroom pics 002.jpg
    bathroom pics 002.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 287
  • bathroom pics 001.jpg
    bathroom pics 001.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 282
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks