(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New Sink P Trap Kit Won't Fit with Old P Trap

Default New Sink P Trap Kit Won't Fit with Old P Trap

I am remodeling our bathroom and yesterday I with out and got a new sink and faucet. The drain pipes from the new sink are 1 1/4 and the old drain pipe is slightly bigger at 1 1/2. I went our yesterday and purchased a 1 1/4 P Trap kit with a plastic rub ring that slides up the sink drain pump and screws secure. The issue I am running into is that P Trap coming out of the wall is the old 1 1/2 and it won't come off. Is there something made that if I cut the end of the pipe from the wall making it straight, right now it comes out of the wall straight and then has a slight curve downward. If I saw some of it off making it straight is the something that can slip on tight on the 1 1/2 end and the other end be compatible with the 1 1/4 P Trap from out new sink. This is really stressing me out trying to figure out how to do that because at this point I have no idea. Please help.

- Joey

Default trap

The least stressful solution would be to call a plumber and have him do it correctly, which your way would not be. Without a picture we are just guessing, but I assume your drain is connected with a "solder bushing" which has to be carefully cut out and removed. Then a conventional drain connection can replace it.

I definitely wanted to try and save some money and calling out a plumber, they charge me $50 just to look at it before anything is done. Does anyone sell just the sink drain pipe in 1 1/2, maybe I can just get that and and we're good to go, is that right?

Default trap

Of course. 1 1/2" traps are as common, if not more so, than 1 1/4" ones. But unless your wall bend is in good shape you are just postponing the inevitable. Find a plumber who is not on the flat rate system and does not charge a "Show up" fee. There are a lot of us out there, but not advertising on the television.