Symmons Temptrol valve - difficult to turn

Users who are viewing this thread

Beantown

Reaction score
Hello,
I just changed out the Spindle (part TA10) for a standard Symmons Temptrol valve as part of a shower remodel - had to change it because I could not get off the handle with all the gunk built up over the years.

Anyway, after replacing the spindle it is now very difficult to turn on and off the water - valve is very stiff. I tried loosening the cap but it didn't really help and water started to leak out of the center of the spindle.

I thought that I followed the instructions on the Symmons website to the letter but obviously not.

(The Temptrol valve controls shower and tub if that makes a difference - diverter is working fine)

What did I do wrong? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks a lot

Brian

symmons-temptrol-hacks-07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Did you have the spindle in the full open position when you tightened the cap?

If you didn't the threads in the cap and on the spindle are probably boogered up.

Beantown

Reaction score
Did you have the spindle in the full open position when you tightened the cap?

If you didn't the threads in the cap and on the spindle are probably boogered up.

I thought that I did it right - on the Symmons instructions it said to "be sure spindle assembly is drawn close to the cap before screwing cap back into valve"
So I set the spindle so that the cold washer retainer/gasket was close to the cap.
Did I do the opposite as to what I was supposed to?
If so, does it mean a new spindle and cap or can I just take it apart and set the spindle in a differrent position?
Thanks for your help

Beantown

Reaction score
update

I replaced the spindle, cap, and packing nut and that has done the trick - I must have 'boogered' the threads the first time around.
Thanks everyone

- follow up question - is there a wrong way to replace the diverter handle? I changed it out - uncrewed cap, puled out old plastic diverter, put in new one and screwed back the end cap - but I 'feel' that there is less water going to the shower head now (I could be imagining it too).

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Did you replace it with the same color diverter spindle?

Unscrew the showerhead from the shower arm and check the restrictor for debis.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks