Help with pipe layout and direction

Users who are viewing this thread

WayneGretzky

Reaction score
Hi everyone, longtime lurker here and new member! I have a bathroom reno i am going to do at home and was hoping to get some plumbing layout advice.

I am moving my toilet to the other side of the bathroom. So on that wall there will be a toilet on the left and then three feet right to the plumbing for the bathtub. There is already an existing 3" vent to the roof there.
Can someone possibly show some diagram of how to have the toilet and bathtub connected to get some grasp of what i need to buy and do. Just make it is like new construction and the best way there is, i don't take shortcuts well. The vent to is easy to move so that is not a problem.
Thanks everyone, Wayne

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
layout

IMPOSSIBLE. Without a complete drawing of the proposed room and pipe locations we cannot possibly tell you that. But, then you are asking for a one paragraph solution to a problem that it can take plumbers years to learn to do properly.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
How about if you sketch up what you think it would connect like with vents and everything and we might correct it?

WayneGretzky

Reaction score
How about if you sketch up what you think it would connect like with vents and everything and we might correct it?

Ok thanks guys, that is the problem is trying to figure out how to draw something on a computer that will make sense to you. Thanks anyways!

WayneGretzky

Reaction score
Ok i tried to sketch it and then took a photo:confused:

Not sure about the venting issue and what the needs are
Not sure about where to connect in the bath to the main line to the toilet

open to any and all thoughts, ideas, criticism etc!

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpg
    IMG_1733.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,909

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That portion of the vent off the bath tub can not run horizontally. Oh and neither can the bit of 3" behind the toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:

WayneGretzky

Reaction score
So where the toilet is the pipe has to end at the toilet? And if i understand you correctly i have to vent the bathtub at a point where i can just go straight up with no horizontal run?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

Actually, if you show that diagram to the building department when you get the construction permits, THEY will tell you how it has to be installed.

WayneGretzky

Reaction score
I did show them a similar drawing with more of the room and how i was going to move a wall, and showed them an engineers report for the floor support but they just want the money. Said if there are any deficiancies they would let me know when they inspected.

I should have added that they were only interested in the structure and basically told me to go ahead on plumbing and they would correct it as i go. Gave me the name of a local plumber who would do a consultation for homeowners for $1000.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
permit

Here it the way it should work. You do the drawing, and submit it. They look at the drawing and stamp it "approved", or give it back to you for revisions and resubmittal. You install it according to the approved drawing and the inspector looks at it. Then he passes it. OR he turns it down and points to the CYA sentence in the approval stamp that says, "This approval does not permit you to make any installation which violates any provisions of the building code", so then you redo it, or finally call a plumber who has to tear it all out and do it properly.

WayneGretzky

Reaction score
Yeah but it didn't work that way. I went down with my plan, that's when they informed me of an engineers stamp for the structural part of it. I got that for them and then went over and got the building and plumbing permit, then i had to go to a separate place to get a wiring permit.
They will have two inspections, one for the structure and roughed in plumbing, and second to finish up. Re-inspection is $75 each time.
All they want is the money, more re-inspections=more money!
What do you think of this guy who will give me a diagram of how to do it for $1000?

Last edited:

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
What do you think of this guy who will give me a diagram of how to do it for $1000?

Well, hire a plumber to do the drain work. For $1000, most of the drain work can be done by the plumber while you watch him work.

I am renovating a bathroom in my house, but the toilet stays where it is. It can be very expensive to "simply" move a drain line three or fout feet in the wrong direction!

WayneGretzky

Reaction score
Yeah i did get two quotes on the plumbing for $1900 and $2700 but i just lost my job so i am trying to save some money here. Also going to use the time off to build our own cabinets etc.

ArtM

Reaction score
Wayne,

Since you have some time off work, why not consider a little reading.

Try this one:
Basic Plumbing with Illustrations, Revised
By: Howard C. Massey
Published by: Craftsman Book Company
ISBN: 0-934041-99-7
384 Pages, 8-1/2 x 11

And maybe this one:
Planning Drain Waste & Vent Systems
Published by: Builder's Book Inc.
ISBN: 1-889892-29-7
202 Pages, 8-1/2 x 11

Last edited:

Zxed

Reaction score
Yeah i did get two quotes on the plumbing for $1900 and $2700 but i just lost my job so i am trying to save some money here. Also going to use the time off to build our own cabinets etc.

here is what i put together, i have been debating getting a permit... i convince myself to get one, and showhow get convinced out of it :)

for my reno,. i broke a wall between a walk in closet and a bathroom.,
in the bathroom there was a tub., that tub is being converted to a walk in shwoer which will now be in the old walk in closet area.,
for that i have to relcoate the shower drain... and a few other things..

Attachments

• suggestion.JPG
    suggestion.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 824

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
good thing you decided against the permit as the inspector would have failed it on the flat vent for the tub. This is why it's often more economical to hire someone that knows what they are doing, so it only has to be done once.

WayneGretzky

Reaction score
I have the permit already, i am not sure what you are referring to? I have the building, plumbing and electrical permits.

edit: ok i see you must be talking to the previous poster, sorry.

WayneGretzky

Reaction score
Wayne,

Since you have some time off work, why not consider a little reading.

Try this one:
Basic Plumbing with Illustrations, Revised
Published by: Craftsman Book Company
ISBN: 0-934041-99-7
384 Pages, 8-1/2 x 11

And maybe this one:
Planning Drain Waste & Vent Systems
Published by: Builder's Book Inc.
ISBN: 1-889892-29-7
202 Pages, 8-1/2 x 11

This second book seems like the one to get hey?
Does anyone else read this book and/or recommend it?

WayneGretzky

Reaction score
I just found another thread where the poster had fancy 3d drawings and got all sorts of help, i guess is that what you need here? I see how the toilet and vent was done and how the shower has to vent now.

If any plumbers want to do a plumbing plan consultation if i send the room drawing and all fixtures marked out, let me know. Just as long as it is a reasonable cost haha! I don't mind to spend the money but 1000 dollars seemed a little excessive i thought.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks