Shower Head and Pipe replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

ROBSGUY

Reaction score
I moved into my home about 1.5 years ago. The house is 20 years old and I want to change the shower heads. The shower head pipe has a ball end and not threads. I'm not sure how the pipe is attached behind the wall so I not sure if i can just unscrew it???

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure without seeing it, but it sounds like you may not have removed the entire showerhead. Most of the showerheads I've seen have a ball in the showerhead itself so the head can swivel. Are you sure you cant unscrew the ball from the shower arm? If you cant, shower arms are screwed into a drop ear ell behind the wall most often. You should be able to unscrew the entire shower arm and replace it. When replacing, be sure to use some teflon tape and/or pipe dope on the threads. I insert one of the handles of a 6" set of channel locks into the showerarm to turn it thereby avoiding scratching the chrome. Let us know how it turns out and hope this helps.

Good luck

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You have either an American Standard or Price Pfister shower. The nut threads are different, but there are adapters made for both of these to convert the ball end to regular male pipe thread. ALternative is to change the whole arm, but if it is in good shape, the adapters are a perfectly suitable choice.

ROBSGUY

Reaction score
Thank You for your replies they were very helpful. I did change the shower head, what I wound up doing was unscrewing the shower arm. I did find the adapters at ACE Hardware but I couldn't use either. Looks like the old shower head and shower arm were one piece. Even though it had a ball end the shower head had it's own built in swivel, plus the arm did not have a coupling I could use to attach the adaptor too.. Thanks again i'm sure i'll be back with more questions...

triley_56

Reaction score
I have the same type shower head, same age house, i found three adapters on http://amconservationgroup.com
Gerber-1/2"x1-1/4" 14T
American Standard - 1/2"x1-1/8" 14T
Price Pfister - 1/2"x1-1/8" 20T
they are 3.99 i am ordering all three since i am two lazy to go measure the threads

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks