A stream on the property, well distance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I have a stream on my property - about 45' from my house
Most times its little more then 3-4" deep. Its more of a large drainage system during rainstorms
Is there a min distance for a shallow well installation?
Of course the ground slopes off near the stream
So to me that might be the ideal place near my shed

I'm not looking for drinking water, I want to water gardens, maybe supply water to the toilets, fill the pool, 1,000g pond system, possibly refill a hot tub, water the veggie garden
For every gallon of water we use, we are charged a certain fee as a sewer rate for Town sewer

Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
The vertical distance from the water to the pump is important. The shorter the better. Pipe size matters depending on how far it is to the pump from the water.

To filter the water to keep things out of the pump that won't pass through the jet and impeller will be difficult with only 4" of water. Can a hole be dug that would stay open to allow a filter?

bob...

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I think the OP was asking & what I would like to know , is there a minimum distance allowed by code or standard regulations ? The minimum distance being between a stream & a drilled or driven well . In my case my water well is less than 100 feet slightly upslope of a small seasonal stream .

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I know a lot of cottages on ponds use the pond water for household water. We have Town sewer, so that's not a problem
A friend has some well equipment - never got it working
I may see if I can "borrow" it & give it a try
Just not sure what he has

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks