Drafty Lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikeyboy

Reaction score
All the recessed lighting in my house (1st and 2nd Floor) are Halo Non-IC Light Fixtures. Since you have to keep insulation around 5" away from these fixtures, I feel drafts through these lights? Is there a cover that I can attach that would block any outside air from coming in and inside air going out?

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
since they are non-IC you won't find any kind of "cover" to use since such a cover will cause them to overheat.

Your best bet is to either replace the ones in the attic (2nd floor) with IC ones or build a box around them and cover the box in plastic. Just be sure the box is more than 10 inches away from the can since you need a larger air gap when you insulate over it.

kylepeavy

Reaction score
I recently replaced the trim on my recessed lights with Commercial Electric T47 air tight trim. Apparently the T47 is discontinued or at least Home Depot doesn't carry it. It looks very similar to the Halo in your link. Mine are pretty air-tight if you adjust the height of the socket so it's just at the right level - it takes a little patience.

There is another benefit too: I used the reflective silver one, and then put 60-watt equivalent spiral compact fluorescent bulbs in there - the reflectiveness makes them much brighter even with a lesser bulb. It looks really sharp now. Several friends have copied what I did after seeing mine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks