Users who are viewing this thread

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
http://www.post-gazette.com/businessnews/19990502clarkcandy3.asp :(

I was just asking about how I'd like to have one recently before the holidays.

A very unique candy bar, and I know of few that I wish would of taken their same demise.

I can't find anything online that will take over production of the product either. Thanks economy, now you took my damn candy bars!!! :mad:

clark-2.jpg

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
RUGGED...is this going to stress you to the point that you become a hack plumber???

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
RUGGED...is this going to stress you to the point that you become a hack plumber???

Possibly. Low blood sugars, inability to cover my plumber's crack, potential for using push fit fittings and snap together drain lines.

Yes. Big possibility.

I just can't believe I was wondering about this before christmas not seeing any and then this. :(

They were the type of candy bar that you'd only eat maybe once a month, nothing more. They should toss Almond Joy or them Mallow Cups, Get rid of those!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The mallow cups should be sold to the talaban...they are worthless. My favorites when I was a kid used to be Zero bars but at some point they changed the ingredients and they stopped tasting the same...Necco Wafers, a product that comes from the same State as Ted Kennedy, should go with the Mallow cups.

Now I eat 70% cacao bars...I like the bitterness...but it must be the good stuff made with coco butter...the stuff made with hydrogenated fat is no where near as good tasting...the 70% bars also have a nice little caffeine lift.

Last edited:

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The mallow cups should be sold to the talaban...they are worthless. My favorites when I was a kid used to be Zero bars but at some point they changed the ingredients and they stopped tasting the same...Necco Wafers, a product that comes from the same State as Ted Kennedy, should go with the Mallow cups.

Now I eat 70% cacao bars...I like the bitterness...but it must be the good stuff made with coco butter...the stuff made with hydrogenated fat is no where near as good tasting...the 70% bars also have a nice little caffeine lift.

I now eat the 70% dark Chocolate too ... I cannot go back to milk chocolate (way to sweet). The Necco wafers are good for roof shingles on the kids gingerbread houses (that's the only time we buy them).:D

Cookie

Reaction score
Got 2 bags of Xmas M & M's at Giant eagle for a buck this afternoon. Now, they didn't have my peanuts, :( but, those are good, too.

Sorry, Rugged, I looked for Clarks, but, couldn't find one. I think, I know where I can though.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Anybody remember the penny squirrels?

bob...

Yes...Penny Squirrels...we had a penny candy store at the bottom of the hill I grew up on, Wilson's Candy Store, here is a pic of it...

storefront1.jpg

as you can see it is now an appliance store but there are a lot of memories in there...the windowed front used to be a porch with long benches that we would sit on and eat some of what we bought...they some times had 5 for a penny this was back in the 50s...I remember paper ribbon with dots of candy on it...

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
We had a penny candy store in Hull near an amusement park
The park is gone - condo's, as is the store

Maybe another company will take over production
Sounds like the interested Mfg is in no hurry to try to get a better deal

Cookie

Reaction score
We had penny candy at Kate's Grocery growing up, I just never had heard of it as Penny Squirrels. Bob, do you know why it was called that maybe?
Penny Squirrels?

We also had 10 cent snow cones. I loved those, especially the root beers or the blueberries.

Speedbump

Reaction score
They were just called Squirrels. They cost a penny. They were in a paper wrap, kind of brownish I think and the candy had crushed nuts and a really good kind of carmel flavor.

Friends of ours opened a Country Store and Deli (plus a small restaurant) last year. Debbie the owner buys all the old candy and sells them there. There is a lot of candy I had forgotten that she has for sale. I guess you can still get a lot of this stuff if you know where to look. Problem is, she does not have squirrels. If she ever finds them, I'm sure the penny won't buy one.

bob...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
We had a penny candy store in Hull near an amusement park
The park is gone - condo's, as is the store

Maybe another company will take over production
Sounds like the interested Mfg is in no hurry to try to get a better deal

That pic of the store above is in Littleton MA.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They were just called Squirrels. They cost a penny. They were in a paper wrap, kind of brownish I think and the candy had crushed nuts and a really good kind of carmel flavor.

Friends of ours opened a Country Store and Deli (plus a small restaurant) last year. Debbie the owner buys all the old candy and sells them there. There is a lot of candy I had forgotten that she has for sale. I guess you can still get a lot of this stuff if you know where to look. Problem is, she does not have squirrels. If she ever finds them, I'm sure the penny won't buy one.

bob...

Is this them...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks