Toilet Purchase Advice Please

Users who are viewing this thread

cma

Reaction score
Hello forum:

I have an opportunity to purchase at a reasonable price a Gerber ultra flush model #21-342 with a tank model #28-380. Is this a good pairing.

I looked at the MAP ratings and it list the 21-342 but it's not paired with the same model tank. Will this make a difference?

Thanks in advance,
CMA

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gerber is not a toilet that is recommended by most participants on the forum. The Toto line has by far the superior products and models that will fit every budget and style. I would encourage you to consider more than the MAPP ratings which when over 500 have very little relevance and are somewhat contrived anyway. I would also suggest that you consider that your are looking to purchase an appliance that should last for 30 or 40 years and that is used several times each day by every member of the household. What you want is a toilet that will never clog and that will need little maintenance during its life, and what it does need is inexpensive and can be done by the homeowner.

cma

Reaction score
Gerber Advice

Hi Gary,

Thank you for responding. I didn't at the time of my posting think to mention a few things. It would be installing in a new basement bathroom that would not receive a lot of use, currently it's just me living in the house, and lastly I am hoping to retire and move in the next two years so I was hoping to be frugal but not cheap. Of course anything can happen and I might end up retiring and staying in this house but it would still be a seldom used toilet.

Any maintence would have to be done by a professional since I'm not a DIYer

Watcha think?

CMA

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A toto could very well be the last toilet you will ever need to buy.
They are not cheap...
Just very good!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
We all have our own ways of looking at things. Some of us feel the cheap initial cost is the most important thing. Others, of which I am one, feel that a slightly higher price in the beginning for better quality and performance is worth the difference. I don't know what your "good deal" on the Gerber is, and I don't know what your local Toto dealer's price is, but Terry has the Toto Drake, elongated bowl listed at $240 and the ADA model at $310. Assuming the Gerber is less than the Toto, is you pro rate the price difference over the next 30 or 40 years, it won't amount to much difference. Just because a toilet isn't used too often doesn't mean it won't clog when it is used. I also think that for a non DIYer, a toilet that does not require frequent repairs would be worth the difference. It's sort of like Fram oil filter commercial where the mechanic says, "You can pay me now (for the oil filter), or pay me later (for the new engine".:)

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well, it probably wouldn't be my first choice, but at least it comes in a box instead of a plastic bag. :D

faucetman886

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree that the money difference you pay to get the Toto is well worth it. Another way to look at the price issue, regardless of what your future intentions are, is that as a non DIYer one visit from the plumber to unstop or repair thst Gerber will quickly erase any savings you made on the cheaper purchase. remember the old adage,,, you get what you pay for.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, it probably wouldn't be my first choice, but at least it comes in a box instead of a plastic bag. :D

I am in total agreement...a toilet that comes in a box will work way better than one that comes in a plastic bag...:cool:

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, Cass. I guess it takes a real pro to understand the professional jargon.:D I'm still learning.

cma

Reaction score
Gerber Advice

Thanks everyone for all of the input. I'm convinced that the Gerber is not the way to go. I'd like to keep the price around $110-$125 if you care to share any thoughts on a decent one in that price range from one of the box stores.

The other thing I'm confused about is when buying the top and bowl does it matter what goes with what?

When I move and get a new house I'll go with a Toto for sure based on the reviews I read here.

Thanks,
CMA

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can find a decent working toilet for that price...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Gerber lists the 28-380 tank as a proper option for the 21-342 bowl.

The 28-380 uses a Sloan Flushmate Pressure assist unit, so flushing performance should be good.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I like and sell Caroma toilets but not for the price your looking to spend...their 3" trapway can't be beat...and the flush valve has a lifetime warranty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks