(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: media panel needed

Quote Originally Posted by Chris75 View Post
    Right, I like the cabinet to hide the mess, but I would much rather use regular punch down blocks. I would probably use the leviton guts to punch down the cat5 for data. if I didnt have to many.

Good to know. I actually have been thinking of using an old wood double door medicine cabinet to install my stuff in. It has an open shelf on top, which would work great for setting things like wireless router and such on and an open shelf on the bottom. It also is going to be installed in a utility room that houses sump, sewage ejector, water heater, pex manifolds and furnace, so not many will ever see it. Any reason that wouldn't work? I'd rather spend the $60-$100 they want for these cabinets on other goodies, but if everyone thinks that not wise, I'd reconsider.

This is the cat 6 patch panel I'm thinking of getting....

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

I like the medicine cabinet idea
    Any reason I can't simply build a wooden box & out a door on it?
    I have a door from an old vanity, and some bigger doors from old kitchen cabinets
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

I just hang a large piece of plywood or OSB (5 ft. x 5 ft.) and use business style phone punch blocks (need punch tool). Then can mount whatever other splitters for coax or barrier strips, etc. needed for phone, video, DSL, speakers, etc.

Punch blocks like this...

Barrier strips...