(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 200amp service ground

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Bless your heart child you sure want a lot of explanation on something that so easy.

When we talk about lightning we are talking about a lot of electrical energy and the discussion can get real in depth and long winded. To keep it really simple a lightning strike is two differences in potential trying to reach equilibrium. Think of it in either manner you like, cloud to earth or earth to cloud but the principal is the same.
    The cloud is one electrode and the earth is another electrode and electrical energy is trying to gain a prefect balance of electrical potential.

Although I do know of a couple of mountain cabins where a spring up on the side of the hill is bringing water into the building via overhead pipes most water supplies for houses come in from under one of these electrodes.
    As these two electrodes are trying to gain equilibrium the plates one which is the dirt over those water pipes will be drawing electrons from any available source including you if you are standing in the shower with a stream of iron laden water spraying on you.

If you want to install a terminal bar for that #4 it must comply with 250.64(F)(3) as posted above.

I know, I know, I ask lots of questions.....sorry, but thanks!

Let's just end with this, I will buy a new length of #4 wire and run it to within 5' of where the water line enters the house. This will come straight from my panel. I will then bond the gas line where it enters the house with the existing #4 wire, even though it's not code where I live. I have the wire and it sounds like you think that is the best thing to do.

If I am correct a simple Yes will suffice, or I'm likely to ask more questions!!

Thanks again!!

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
    I know, I know, I ask lots of questions.....sorry, but thanks!

Let's just end with this, I will buy a new length of #4 wire and run it to within 5' of where the water line enters the house. This will come straight from my panel. I will then bond the gas line where it enters the house with the existing #4 wire, even though it's not code where I live. I have the wire and it sounds like you think that is the best thing to do.

If I am correct a simple Yes will suffice, or I'm likely to ask more questions!!

Thanks again!!
    What you propose sounds fine.

Ask all the questions your heart desires and I will do my best to answer you