Installing a dusk til dawn sensor

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked before....but are the lights by any chance FLUORESCENT? They will not work correctly with that type of photocell.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One other thing to consider is if one of the lights (that is on all the time) is shining on the sensor...it could be telling the sensor to shut off! and that may be why the one (correctly installed) is turning off.

The whites from all items should be tied together as should the ground wires.

The feed black should go to the sensor black.

Both lamp blacks should go to the sensor red.

If it is connected that way, the sensor is probably bad. Troubleshooting during the daytime is tough depending on the wavelength of light the sensor is actually sensitive to - it may be harder to block than you think. Some also have some smarts in them to not react to say a dark cloud going past the sun and thinking that is nightime or dusk...they take an average over time (not all do).

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
NOTTICK , If you're still checking in keep us posted . I would like to know what fixes your problem .

nottick

Reaction score
Install dusk to dawn sensor ( Epiloque and a THANKS to all who assisted)

1- Please accept apologies if I don't communicate well as English is not my first language.

2- This issue was resolved as such; I installed a new switch ( from inventory), still had same problem. Installed a third swith, still same problem persisted.

I went to the store where they were purchased( had purchased five in total). I commented that perhaps the switches were bad. I asked for new switches from a different box.

I was given switches from a different box . Installed one of the new switches and it worked fine. I installed another on a second lamp pole, it worked fine.

I have to assume the switches I had purchased were from a defective batch.

The retailer got back to me today, he commented that he had given the sensors back to the representative who had contacted him confirming the sensors were in fact defective.

I don't access this forum often, however whenever I do there are always nice people willing to assist. Thanks to everybody who provided their expertise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks