GE Silicone, PolySeamSeal, or Polyurethane Caulk for Tub Surround?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
GE Silicon

PolySeamSeal
or...
Polyurethane caulk
(if you know of a good brand for this application please recommend one)

This is for a tub surround

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have an issue with GE Silicone II. You will find, in VERY fine print, on the label, that it must be stored at below 80ºF. Now, depending on the time of year, and what state you live in, it is possible that during transport, warehouse storage, delivery, and even in your own truck, that it may be overheated at some point. If it is too hot for too long, the result is that the product will fail to cure completely. GE will replace the product but not compensate your labor.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I have always used GE Silicone II Kitchen and Bath and have been quite happy with it.

"GE Silicone II Kitchen and Bath with BioSeal protects like nothing else against leaks and water damage. Keeps stain-causing mold and mildew from growing on the sealant. Doesn’t shrink or crack. Provides an easy-to-clean surface. Stays flexible forever. And looks new for longer. With Silicone II, you’ll do the job right. And for good."

Tub Refinisher

Tub refinisher
Reaction score
Website
www.permaglazenorthdallas.com
As one who refinishes tubs for a living, I have caulked "a few". Personally I don't like silicone because it's very messy to work with, and unless you're caulking around a shower door track where there's a potential for movement, silicone is not really necessary (IMHO).

I like Polyseamseal, although it is a little harder to work with than DAP, and tends to shrink a little, it seems to be quite durable. Make sure you get the one with BioGard.

Barry

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Polyseamseal would be my choice!

polyseamseal_clear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I used to use the filling from Mallow cups but found Polyseamseal does a better job...

Tim222

Reaction score
.... unless you're caulking around a shower door track where there's a potential for movement, silicone is not really necessary (IMHO).

What are the pros and cons of using polyurethane versus silicone at changes of plane in a shower? Which is better able to compress and stretch to accommodate movement? Is one material better than the other at inhibiting mold and mildew? Does one last longer than the other?

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks