(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: GE Silicone, PolySeamSeal, or Polyurethane Caulk for Tub Surround?

Default GE Silicone, PolySeamSeal, or Polyurethane Caulk for Tub Surround?

GE Silicon

PolySeamSeal
    or...
    Polyurethane caulk
    (if you know of a good brand for this application please recommend one)

This is for a tub surround
    Last edited by molo; 01-06-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

I have an issue with GE Silicone II. You will find, in VERY fine print, on the label, that it must be stored at below 80ºF. Now, depending on the time of year, and what state you live in, it is possible that during transport, warehouse storage, delivery, and even in your own truck, that it may be overheated at some point. If it is too hot for too long, the result is that the product will fail to cure completely. GE will replace the product but not compensate your labor.

I have always used GE Silicone II Kitchen and Bath and have been quite happy with it.

"GE Silicone II Kitchen and Bath with BioSeal protects like nothing else against leaks and water damage. Keeps stain-causing mold and mildew from growing on the sealant. Doesn’t shrink or crack. Provides an easy-to-clean surface. Stays flexible forever. And looks new for longer. With Silicone II, you’ll do the job right. And for good."
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

As one who refinishes tubs for a living, I have caulked "a few". Personally I don't like silicone because it's very messy to work with, and unless you're caulking around a shower door track where there's a potential for movement, silicone is not really necessary (IMHO).

I like Polyseamseal, although it is a little harder to work with than DAP, and tends to shrink a little, it seems to be quite durable. Make sure you get the one with BioGard.

Barry

Polyseamseal would be my choice!

I used to use the filling from Mallow cups but found Polyseamseal does a better job...

Quote Originally Posted by Tub Refinisher View Post
    .... unless you're caulking around a shower door track where there's a potential for movement, silicone is not really necessary (IMHO).
    What are the pros and cons of using polyurethane versus silicone at changes of plane in a shower? Which is better able to compress and stretch to accommodate movement? Is one material better than the other at inhibiting mold and mildew? Does one last longer than the other?

Thanks

I am having issues with the bonding/sealing properties of GE silicone II when applied to acrylic bathtub surfaces.