DIY Again

Users who are viewing this thread

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
Reading and asking questions is a great way to learn!

Yes this may be true.
However this thread turned out to be more bashing and arguing than anything very informative. Very disapointing.

Each one has a point after a while it gets old listening to the same ones not getting anywhere.

Also in the pics of the framing I did spot code violations I could go into,however If I remember correct he mentioned he passed his inspections. Could be he had an inexperienced inspector or he corrected the violations before the inspector arrived. I dont know it doesnt matter unless someone wants to know for their benefit and would like to ask. Also codes could be different from here to there. Wouldnt think they are that much different except for the snow loads imposed in that area.They should be stricter.

Oh forgot to mention I also have Certifications in Building, Plumbing, Mechanical and Fire here in N.C.

Anyway I dont think theres a need to be overly critical of this man or his work. He enjoys it and gets satisfaction from it. He apparently pulled his permits and got his inspections and is happy with his results. Good for him.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
However this thread turned out to be more bashing and arguing than anything very informative. Very disapointing.

I dunno, I think we turned it around, in the end, right? Buried the hatchet & moved onto more informative topics. The last page, anyways...

ScubaDave, weigh in, here. We're good, now, right?

Also in the pics of the framing I did spot code violations I could go into,however If I remember correct he mentioned he passed his inspections. Could be he had an inexperienced inspector or he corrected the violations before the inspector arrived. I dont know it doesnt matter unless someone wants to know for their benefit and would like to ask. Also codes could be different from here to there. Wouldnt think they are that much different except for the snow loads imposed in that area.They should be stricter.

?? I didn't spot anything wrong. Maybe I need to look closer? What did you notice?

Last edited:

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
I agree. No sense in keep driving the same points home over and over. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some things are black and white and others are up for dipute.

What did you notice wrong with the framing? I'm sure Scuba would like to know. I don't thing he wants his house falling down.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
WOW most views and replies on the electrical side!

Nope. Jar's "DIY electrical" has more views. Although this is the highest replies.

But don't put too much stock in those stats: the entire forum got erased, last year, and we had to start anew. It's quite possible that there were longer threads, before that. We'll never know. All those threads are lost, forever.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Yup, I'm good
Been sick since New Years so I'm worn out & cranky

Since the (garage) addition is unfinished I'm not sure how I can have code violations? Rough framing won't be done for another month or longer if the snowstorms keep coming in. If you did spot something I'd like to know, I tend to overbuild & like to surpass the code. If there was something missed I'd correct it

Sunroom was inspected, rough, electric, insulation
Inspector wanted some lag bolts on the "ledger" board where the rafter ties for the flat ceiling at the top of the cathedral ceiling. Other then that he saw no problems. Not a quick inspection either, he took his time & checked everything out

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
Mind you some of the pictures are hard to tell alot of detail. Tried blowing them up looses detail. It appears some of your headers are not doubled and you do not have jack studs under them. Your flashing appears to be installed wrong under the windows however its hard to tell. Did you ptu you bottom flashing on befor you installed the windows? Yout house wrap did you x and fold in at the windows? Then did you v up the wrap at the top of the windows put your flashing on after the window was installed then fold the wrap back over the flashing and tape the cuts? How long do they allow you to have untreated wood exposed to the weather before covering?

Again remember its hard to see all detail, and you do have codes that may differ some from N.C. to where you live. Also you may have already taken care of some of these concerns since you have taken these pictures.

Also you have done well considering you had to take so long off. It may have been advisable to have had some help to get your project dried in sooner. However I like you like to do things myself and sometimes its to my detriment also.

On you building where you have the jalousie windows did you install top plates? Also on all your rooms did you install double top plates. Again you didnt show all walls after completion. Pictures can be hard to go by.

Hang in there and work with your inspector, Im sure he will help you if any of these are any of his concerns. Remember he is a public servant. I hope he works well with you.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Actually all the headers will be triple insulated header
The third triple header is not in place until after I add insulation board
Jack studs are under every header
In some cases cripple studs are not under windows
I go back & add them as I cut 2x & have "extra"

Flashing was installed on sill plate before the windows were installed
Then house wrap folded in, then more flashing
Local code only requires house wrap, which I found strange
But in looking at new houses that's all they had
The other DIY site recommended the window wrap/flashing for a proper seal

I have double top plates everywhere
I'm not sure which building as the greenhouse has jalousie windows as does the pool cabana. The pool cabana has double top plates - basically just to match the existing structure. Since double top plates are not required if the rafter sits on top of the stud. But with the length of the big jalousie window I would have done it anyways. They weren't that concerned with the pool cabana either, again I went with 2x10 instead of the 2x6 rafters required. Mostly to support a solar water heating system for the pool. The jalousie window also has solid support in between the 3 window "panels". All the jalousie windows were free from a guy changing his 3 season porch to a 4 season

The greenhouse they barely gave a 2nd look, I doubled up the rafters & went w/2x10's instead of 2x6's which is all that was needed.

There is a house in Town that a guy has been working on for over 5 years, wood exposed. They don't seem to have a problem with it

Thanks for the input

svcalypso

Reaction score
I don't cut corners

I agree - when we put an extension over our garage for a home office we used a crew for the framing work and did the rest ourselves (or subbed it out - electrical and sheetrock). I did all the insulation myself. When the inspector came round he said "you did this yourself, didn't you ?" We thought "uh, oh -yes ....." he said he can tell when a homeowner does it because they invest the time to get the insulation in properly, around all the areas where there may be heat loss.

Time is money right ? and my time is free ?

also

Code is code, but done right is done right

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
That is very true. A contractor looks at fiberglass and thinks: hassle, boring, itchy. Tries to get it over with as quickly as posible. And because most customers never see it, there's no "impress the client" mileage to be gotten, no incentive to do a quality job.

A homeowner looks at fiberglass and thinks: lower heating bills, a more comfortable house. Does it with care & attention, because the incentives are there, for him/her.

It's like I said: the most motivated work force available out there.

RE code vs. done right... a friend's sig line on another forum goes: "code is the minimum grade to pass. You build to code, you pass; congratulations, your grade is a D."

Last edited:

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
RE code vs. done right... a friend's sig line on another forum goes: "code is the minimum grade to pass. You build to code, you pass; congratulations, your grade is a D."

I like your friends line! The problem is everyone seems to try to do as little as they can for as much as they can. There are still some contractors who do good quality work, however their either hard to find or to busy to get to your work because they do such good work. Its a shame the world we live in is so driven by the dollar.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
That's the way it has to be, unless you can come up with a better system.:)

Mankind has already come up with that one and could not possibly come up with any other, but a much better one certainly does still exist:

“‘You shall love יהוה your Elohim with all your heart, and with all your being, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great command. And the second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’â€

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks