Toto Drakes pulling water from each other's bowls

Users who are viewing this thread

Flushed

Reaction score
We just installed two Toto Drakes that sit back to back in adjacent bathrooms. I'm experiencing the symptoms described below.
AND HERE'S ANOTHER WARNING: If you have an adjacent toilet which drains into a common waste pipe, you may wind up flushing both toilets at once! The Champion flushes so fast that it creates a vacuum in the adjacent bathroom which sucks the water out of the bowl. I think if you read the comments here, you will see that I am not the only person who dislikes this bowl. In my opinion, American Standard has a lemon on their hands.
R.A.C. Sun, 03 Apr 2005

That review was part of my rationale for not buying the American Standard.

The flush does not pull all of the water from the nearby toilet's bowl, but enough that the next flush would appear to be "incomplete" at best. I have checked the rooftop vent for any clogs and have found none.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would think it to be the plumbing.

I've seen plenty installed back to back without problems.
In fact most homes plumb the toilets back to back.

If you have a San Cross fitting, the water can skip across the fitting, pushing air and displacing water in the opposite bowl.

Most high performance toilets require a fixture type fitting.

back_to_back.jpg

Last edited:

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Flushed
I've experienced your situation. Contact Toto. They are aware of the problem. It occurs when the wcs are plumbed using a 3' figure #5 or doulbe fixture type fitting. They recommend a double combo setup. Unfortunately, a double combo with 2 90s might have a longer spred then the 30" to 32" common in back to back setups.
Fortunately my problem was not over a slab. I was able to cap one side of the fig 5 and connect one of the wc's to the lavy riser, turning it into a wet vent. Lucky for me I ran it 2" rather than 1-1/2".
Scott

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Looks like you have the room to put in a double combo. Check with Toto first, but I think you can get out of this one with your pants still attached.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Washington State they never would have allowed a sanitary cross for two toilets.

They do allow a double combo
abs_double_fixture.gif

A double fixture fitting

This is still not good enough for the new back to back toilets from American Standard, Kohler or TOTO.
You need a double wye.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks