Drilling in Fl with PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

rwolf

Reaction score
H.D. has 1 1/4" PVC well points with a section of slotted pipe attached that are about 4' long. I am in a sandy soil area (Tarpon Springs) and need to drill a new well for my sprinkler pump. Can I simply insert one of these well point sections in the ground and glue on more sections as necessary and connect to the jet pump?

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
It's not that simple!

The well point you are talking about is a well screen and not a well point. First you would need to wash a 4" hole in the ground by making a wash down bit from a 3" PVC coupling. You would need to cut saw type teeth on the bottom of the coupling and adapr the other end to a 5' section of pvc pipe. You would need to dig 2 mud pits, 1 about 2' by 3' near where you want the well, then dig a second pit 2' by 2' about 12" from the first pit. These pits should be about 18" to 2' deep. Then cut a trench wrom the proposed well to the first pit and cut a wide shallow trench between the two pits. Now you will need a contractors trash pump with a suction hose and screen. You will place the suction hose in the smallest pit and the outlet hose from the pump will need to be connected to the top of the 1-1/4" by 5' pvc wash pipe. Once this is done you will need to purchase some drilling mud (powder), about 50 lbs. from a drilling contractor or a well supply house. Mix the powder slowly with fresh water in the mud pits until you have a consistancy equal to a malted milk drink.

Now you're ready to start drilling (washing) a hole in the ground. Start the pump and turn the 1-1/4" pvc, with the bit on the end, back and forth about 1/4 turn and let the pipe wash a hole in the ground. When that 5' is down, add another and another until you reach a good clean water sand the returns to the top of the hole and into the first pit. Hopefully this will be at least 40' total but 18' to 40' may be OK.

Keep in mind the above instructions is for sand only. If there is any clay or rock, the above may not work for you!

Once you have the hole to the desired depth, remove the 1-1/4" pvc quickly and replace with 1-1/4" pvc with the well screen on the bottom end (cap the end of the well screen). Once the well screen is in the washed hole to the depth you desire, you can pump clear water through the 1-1/4" pvc and out through the well screen until a thin almost clear water returns around the pvc at the top. Immediately remove the hose from the 1-1/4" pvc and pour at least one bucket of clean sand around the pvc pipe. Be sure to allow water to flow out of the 1-1/4" pvc, around the pipe and back down the hole. Once this is done you can connect a pitcher pump to the 1-1/4" pipe and pump it until it pumps clear water.

Next connect a shallow well jet pump (not a lawn sprinkler pump)to the well, prime it and your done.

I recommend installing a small 1 to 5 gallon pressure tank on top of the pump. This way it will be automatic and stay primed.

Keep in mind that the state has well regulations, requirements and may require a well permit before installing your well.

You must follow the above steps to a "T" otherwise you will encounter serious problems.

Remember, I said it isn't that simple and it isn't easy! Even experienced drillers have problems in sand.

Good Luck and good drilling!

silver

Reaction score
drilling wiyh pvc

I too would like to make my own well but have a few question before I start.
Drilling in sand like that would it just not keep caving in ?
How many gpm could you expect through pvc vs steel 1 1/4 or 2 in ,in good water conditions?
What is the purpose of the powder /mud .

silver

Reaction score
pvc well drilling

yes I am in Ormond beach and seen the method above and going to give it a try, drillers in this area say water is down 14 to 25 feet

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would use the term "Drillers" loosly when defining a well that shallow. Most licensed reputable Drillers wouldn't even start looking for water until they got to 50 foot or so. This is where most of the fresh (safe) water starts. Not just under the sod. That water for the most part is full of bug killer, weed killer, fertilizer and feces. So even though it might not be too harmful to your grass, it wouldn't be so good to bathe in or drink.

After all, glowing in the dark is not an attribute.

bob...

silver

Reaction score
only need the well for sprinkler and a project to work on. I like to learn and do it myself. In porkys drilling prosses above when drillig in sand ,would the sides cave in. how many gpm could expect from a 1 1/4 pvc vs steel well point also what is the pupose of the powder / mud for

Speedbump

Reaction score
The hole won't cave in because of the drilling mud. It's the mud that keeps the hole open.

As to what kind of flow you can expect depends not only on the screen you purchase but the material the water is in. The coarser the material the better chance you have of getting a good flow. Well screens come in many shapes and sizes. If you don't get a good slotted screen, your flow won't be very good. And you match the slot opening to that material.

bob...

kboyette

Reaction score
I did this with just a water hose. I needed 4 points to get enough water for my system. I connected a heavy duty 3/4" hose directly from the 1" municipal water source (not through a spigot)to a 3/4" pvc pipe with a jagged edge. I used the 3/4" pipe to jet down a 2-1/2" casing. It took about 2 hours to jet down each of the pvc casings to about 15 feet. My water table at the time was ~11ft. I pushed the 3/4" pvc past that as far as I could and really washed it out. I then quickly pulled up the 3/4" pipe and dropped in the 1-1/4" sandpoint connected to enough pvc to get to the bottom. I did not use the drillng mud, but I probably would if I did it again. Also I would probably not drive the casing next time. I would just use the drilling mud and the 1-1/4" pipe. Make sure you get inside couplings otherwise you will never get the pipe down in the ground. It works pretty well as long as you dont hit clay or rock.

kboyette

Reaction score
as for the flow. it took 4 of the 4' sandpoints to get a flow rate of ~18 GPM. This will probably vary widely. Now with the drought the recovery rate of the area surrounding the points seem to be much slower.

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's another thing I didn't mention. With shallow wells like these, when you need the water most is usually around April when it hasen't rained in quite some time. Not only are all the plants dry, but so are the shallow water veins.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks