Shower Valve Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

tombat

Reaction score
Working my way towards plumbing the shower and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a valve and associated pieces.

I have a 36x36 shower pan with an 18x36 bench. The whole thing will be tiled. I plan to have a fixed shower head (no body spray) for the pan and a hand held at the bench.

I was tentatively planning on a Moen 3320/3330 but am certainly open to other ideas.

Here is my current shopping list:

• Moen A725BN Drop Ell Brushed Nickel
  • Moen 3861BN Single Function Hand Shower Brushed Nickel
  • Moen 10154BN 6" Shower Arm Brushed Nickel
  • Moen 6302BN Moenflo (R) XL Single Function Showerhead Brushed Nickel
  • Moen AT2199BN Shower Arm Flange Brushed Nickel
  • Moen T4111BN Kingsley Moentrol Shower Valve with Built-in Three Function Transfer Valve Trim Brushed Nickel
  • Moen 3330 Moentrol (R) Three Function Transfer Valve 1/2" CC
  • Moen 6121BN Kingsley Two-Handle Centerset Lavatory Faucet Brushed Nickel

This all adds up to about $700 and I'd like to keep the price somewhere around that. $1000 would probably be my max.

Any suggestions will be considered.

Thanks
Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Benches can be especially problematic and require careful attention to detail to prevent leaks. If you haven't been there, consider checking out the details and help from www.johnbridge.com while building your shower.

tombat

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I've been to Johnbridge.com before but never realized how much info was there. I can see myself spending a little more time searching the forums.

Not only will I have a bench, but there are two windows. I've been really concerned about getting everything sealed well. If I was smart I'd pull the windows and make my life a lot easier.

Any input on shower valves?

Thanks
Tom

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Change the windows to glass block. Or, if they aren't vinal, switch to that. Vinal does expand and contract a lot, so makes it harder to seal. Consider Kerdi from www.schluter.com.

Personally, I've used Grohe stuff. The pros here really like Delta 1700 series. Both can be had with thermostatically controlled valves, which I find really convenient. Summer and winter, with varying cold water temperatures and beginning and end of the hot water supply, it will remain the same output temperature. Find your preferred temp, and just adjust the volume control. Can't do that with a standard valve.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I like Moen valves...

As far as thermostatic valves go I have installed several Moen Exact-Temp Thermostatic valves now and they all have come out nice...

tombat

Reaction score
Change the windows to glass block. Or, if they aren't vinal, switch to that. Vinal does expand and contract a lot, so makes it harder to seal. Consider Kerdi from www.schluter.com.

The windows are new vinyl - I installed them as part of this remodel. It's a small bathroom and I'm trying to make the most of it. I thought the windows in the shower would be a nice touch. I'm really having seconds thoughts about that decision though.

I've definitely decided to go with the Kerdi product, with or without windows. I've already installed a Swanstone shower pan so I'll keep that and use Kerdi everywhere else. I haven't been able to find any close up pictures or details of how to seal the windows with the Kedi - guess I'll have to spend a little more time at johnbridge.com.

Still trying to decide on valves. I checked out the Exact Temp stuff from Moen. Don't think it will work because the valves are designed for 3/4 pipe and I ran 1/2. I know I could adapt up but I think that would defeat the purpose. It also puts me over the $1000 limit I set. Going to look at the Grohe next and see what they have.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Tom

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In that 36 X 36 shower, I think the bench will be too crowded. If it is for aesthetic reasons, I would rethink it, and if it is for a person needing assistance, I would consider either portable shower seats, or an installed fold down seat.

In such a small stall, seems like it would be simpler to avoid the transfer valve, and just have a fixed shower head with tee/valve and a handheld coming off that. All the major brands make such a set up. In fact, why not put in just the handheld, on a slide bar. These are very functional.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Seal the Kerdi to the vinal with Kerdi-fix, or another urethane sealant.

tombat

Reaction score
In that 36 X 36 shower, I think the bench will be too crowded. If it is for aesthetic reasons, I would rethink it, and if it is for a person needing assistance, I would consider either portable shower seats, or an installed fold down seat.

I guess I wasn't really clear on the size of the shower. I have a 54x36 area to work with - 36x36 pan and 18x36 bench.

I would have preferred to just go with a tub/shower but I was only able to find one choice in 54" tubs. And then there's the fact that a 54" tub is pretty worthless unless you are a pretty small person. Making a 60" tub fit would have required dealing with a load bearing wall. Not a big deal but not something I felt like doing.

Tom

Last edited:

tombat

Reaction score
Decided on a shower valve. Went with the Delta Innovation series. Figure these parts should get be all I need. Ordered the valves for now. At the pace this project is going, I won't need the finish pieces for a few months.

• T17T030-NN Innovations TempAssure® Valve Only Trim w/ Volume Control
  • R10000-UNBX Rough (Valve)
  • T11630NN Innovations 6-Function, 3-Port Diverter Trim
  • R11600 Innovations 6-Function, 3-Port Diverter Rough
  • RP40593NN Innovations 7″ Shower Arm
  • RP38452NN Delta Shower Flange
  • 56513-NN Innovations 3 Function Wall mounted Hand Shower
  • 50560-NN Innovations Hand Shower Wall Elbow
  • RP40594NN Lahara Touch-Clean® 3-Function Showerhead

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks