Copper tubing for propane

Users who are viewing this thread

puredesire

Reaction score
I am installing a new propane fireplace. what kind of copper tubing is sufficient for this? also it will be running to an outside tank, is copper best for this? :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather see something stronger than copper. I'm not a pro. I've heard that propane can cause a buildup in copper pipe as well, and eventually plug it through a chemical reaction with the copper. Again, I've not had any experience with this. You may want to call the building inspector and ask what is allowed. While you may not need a permit (depends on where you live), finding out the correct way to do it (not the easiest) should prevail. What does the manual say for the device you are installing? Probably that it must be done to local codes and may not be very enlightening, except to a pro.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
propane

There are many different ways to pipe gas to a fireplace. It depends on the type of fireplace, the type of burner, and many other items, any one of which can be deadly if not done properly. Contact your building department to learn the approved method of installing the gas, and any primary shut off valves.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

I live in an area with alot of propane. I have never seen the buildup problems that jadnashua speaks of. However, code will dictate what you can run, and how deep it will need to be buried and all the other things you need to know besides the approved material.
I am also a firm believer that gas lines should be run only by qualified licensed professionals. A mistake can do more than get you wet and an explosion can cause damage beyond your own home.
It scares me to see the words "propane" and "sufficient" used in the same paragraph...
Deb
The Pipewench

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Build Up

I'm pleased to know that Deb has not seen build up in copper lines delivering propane. I have had to dump the green debri out of lines serving water heaters when our jurisdiction still allowed copper gas lines. I thought that included propane lines in addition to natural gas but perhaps not.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In certain areas of the country ( depends on where the gas came from) the copper is attacked by the h2so4. Copper is not allowed in California on nat., but is OK on propane.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Same here. No copper for natural gas, copper okay for propane.
Deb
The Pipewench

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pipe for propane

Even if local code allows it, I'd advise using black iron. When something is allowed in some jusisdictions but not in others, a little amber light blinks in my head. Is it because of border line safety or is it some places just haven't updated their codes? Don't know the answer about copper, but why chance it? Black iron is approved everywhere.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
variations

IN some cases it is just a matter of "protecting their turf". In heavily unionized areas such as Chicago, NY, and San Francisco, there are requirements in place that, while possibly better, are no safer than another method, but since the existing procedures are more labor intensive, and may be beyond the scope of DIY'ers they remain is effect.

terranova

Reaction score
copper/propane

Here in the NE part of PA as well as the SW part of NY the approved method of piping propane is copper pipe. If buried underground it must be at least 24" (2 feet), and the copper tubing must be a sheathed approved underground rated tubing. Here it costs $100.00 per 60 feet.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks