Leaking Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

jonwarner4

Reaction score
I found a leak in our first floor shower drain. When I cut the ceiling away to get a look at it, I found the previous owners presumably had the same problem and literally put a tray in the ceiling to catch the water before they sealed it back up. Classy.

The leak occurs between the PVC drain and the brass drain fitting in the fiberglass unit.

It's a real bear to get to from the underside - HVAC supply and return ducts, copper supply, and floor joists to name a few obstacles.

With that in mind, any way to address this from the shower floor? We actually plan to replace the shower unit within a year or so, at which time the problem will be addressed for sure - but I'd like to do something now so guests can use the shower without a bucket hanging from the ceiling in the finished basement... Not classy.

Some pictures attached. Thanks in advanced for any help.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 400

Mead

Reaction score
There is a rubber gasket (under tub) you need to replace. When you remve the drain and start to put things together use 100% silacone (on top) between the tub base and drain. Let dry and remove exess.

jonwarner4

Reaction score
There is a rubber gasket (under tub) you need to replace. When you remve the drain and start to put things together use 100% silacone (on top) between the tub base and drain. Let dry and remove exess.

Thanks Mead. So here's the latest. I scraped out what seems like an old gasket around the top of the pvc, and underneath it - between the pvc and the brass - was a ton of fibrous material that was packed into that space. I dug as much as I could of it out of there (you can now see the void between pvc and brass), and am guessing I'd replace the packing with a good fill of silicone sealant.

here's a pic of what I found - it was surprising, to say the least.

again - I appreciate the response

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The fibrous stuff looks like oakum (oiled hemp) and is typically used with a cast iron, leaded connection. The oakum is packed into the joint between the hub and the pipe tight, then lead poured on top.

jonwarner4

Reaction score
replacement?

The fibrous stuff looks like oakum (oiled hemp) and is typically used with a cast iron, leaded connection. The oakum is packed into the joint between the hub and the pipe tight, then lead poured on top.

Any suggestions on what to replace that packing with?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks