Ventilation under structured floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
Hi,
Recently purchased new home with wood/steel structural basement floor with a 2ft crawlspace below. This is common in Colorado due to expansive soils. There is an 8 inch duct with a fan connected to a humidistat under the basement floor to remove excess moisture from the crawl space. However there is also a Radon mitigation fan that is connected to pipes that run under heavy plastic that covers the ground in the crawl space. Both of these installations appear to be operating correctly however the issue I am having is that when the 8 inch duct dehumidifier fan is off the duct sucks in very cold air due to the constant pressure of the Radon fan. The duct becomes quite cold to the point of collecting condensation. The duct travels through an unfinished portion of the basement and exits to the side of the house. I can insulate the duct however what I am unsure of is if this is a correct installation or if something needs to be changed. I have not been able to locate any other intake ventilation into the crawlspace except for the 8 inch duct. Is this correct? Will the Radon mitigation work if so much of the air is enterrring from the outside?
Thanks for any feedback.
Gary

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks