something is leaking in my bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott81425

Reaction score
hello-
i came across this forum from an internet search, and i hope someone here can help me. i have a spot on the floor in my bathroom that is getting soaked on a regular basis. there are actually 2 spots that are pretty much constantly wet as of late, and it's really bothering me. i have taken apart the access panel where my faucets are, and nothing is leaking back there. however, there is no access panel by the tub drain, so i can't have a look at the drain there, at least that i can tell. i've also checked the bathtub sink as well as the toilet, and no leaking. i've looked under the house, and haven't noticed any water in the crawl space, so i don't think it's coming from underneath. my suspicion is that the tub itself needs to be re-caulked. does anyone else have any other ideas? i'm not so hot when it comes to plumbing repairs, it's my biggest weakness when it comes to home repairs, but i really don't want to have to pay a plumber 189 bucks to come out and have a look if something is easily fixable. please help.

Barry J

Reaction score
Where is the water??? Is it under an exhaust fan, because if you have an exhaust fan and the tube/hose venting it to the roof in the attic is not insulated it will be condensation that will come down from the fan. At least that is what happened to me, before I insulated around the tube in the attic.

Scott81425

Reaction score
Where is the water??? Is it under an exhaust fan, because if you have an exhaust fan and the tube/hose venting it to the roof in the attic is not insulated it will be condensation that will come down from the fan. At least that is what happened to me, before I insulated around the tube in the attic.

no exhaust fan. just 2 puddles in the bathroom that are staying constantly wet. one a couple feet in front of the shower, the other about another 2 feet away from that one.

Entropy

Reaction score
Almsost sounds like someone is not using a bath mat.

Could it be possible that there is a small stream of water sparying off of your shower head, when it's running. Could be from calcium build up, used to hapen with my bathroom sink tap -- when washing your hands there would be a small stream of spray shooting out on the the counter.

Entropy

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is the floor made of? Is it a concrete slab, a wooden floor, is there tile or vinal on the floor?

What's around the tub? Do you have a shower curtain or glass doors? If you take a level and put it on the flat lip of the tub, is it level both along the long and short directions?

Scott81425

Reaction score
What is the floor made of? Is it a concrete slab, a wooden floor, is there tile or vinal on the floor?

What's around the tub? Do you have a shower curtain or glass doors? If you take a level and put it on the flat lip of the tub, is it level both along the long and short directions?

the shower is nearly perfectly level, off just a hair, but literally a hair. it is a double shower curtain setup. and the floor is carpeted. underneath it is linoleum. i pulled up the carpet, wet enough to soak through the pad. i've contemplated ripping the carpet out and rocking the 70's style linoleum in the bathroom, but i want to know why it's wet first. could it possibly be getting wet from underneath?

i checked the shower head for stray streams, and found nothing. i originally thought the bath mat idea was what was going on, but i could show pictures, the wet spots aren't exactly in the path of the shower to..............anything.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leaks

We may be able to tell you how to stop leaks, but there is no way we can tell you WHERE the leaks are coming from without being there to make our own tests. $189.00 is a weird amount for a plumbing service call, and would be high for this area, but if you cannot find the leak then you DO need a plumber, possibly one with a small video camera.

svcalypso

Reaction score
I would dry the floor totally and then monitor it every half an hour making careful note of what is occurring between those times. This should get you to 'something' that is contributing to the wetness.

whereabouts are you ? Could you have ice dams at this time of year that are dripping down and causing the spots ? Is this a first floor bathroom or second? If second (or firs wit basement/crawlspace beneath) are their pipes beneath?

or could it be water dripping from someones hands after they have washed up and are looking for a towel ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks